It's Veteran's Day!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It's Veteran's Day!

It's Veterans Day 2009. We have been celebrating this day for 90 years now. Formerly known as "Armistice Day" and in many places called "Remembrance Day", it is the anniversary that memorializes and commemorates the end of World War I when the Armistice Treaty was signed on the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour in 1918, thus ending "The War To End All Wars." It later became a day to celebrate the service and lives of all Veterans of every war as, sadly, the Great War did not in fact end all wars.

There are so many heroes. So many losses. So much pride and so much grief. So much sacrifice and so much gratefulness too. We are grateful to all of the men and women who have served previously or are now serving to protect us so selflessly and we say thank you to all of them on Veterans Day.

There will, of course, be parades, barbecues, memorials, reunions and dedications both public and private. There will be an abundance of military, religious, spiritual and family rituals occurring on this Veterans Day as there have been for the past 9 decades. We love our veterans and we honor them in this way.

In his book, "The First World War," Martin Gilbert said this:

"All wars end up being reduced to statistics, strategies, debates about their origins and results. These debates about war are important, but not more important than the human story of those who fought in them."

On Veterans Day I like to take a moment to reflect not only upon the human stories of those who fought, but of those they had to leave behind to do so. Their families. The fathers and mothers, sisters and brothers, grandparents, wives and husbands, children, and sweethearts who are left at home to carry on without them. You who stay behind to raise the children, to guide them spiritually, to provide for them emotionally and physically. You comfort the grieving, share the anxiety and the loneliness, await the good news or the bad news, knowing that you yourselves are charged with protecting and sustaining the day-to-day business that is life while your loved one is away. You are the unsung heroes of this Veterans Day for me. You somehow find the strength and the courage to preserve and protect the home that your hero will one day come back to and I salute you for this.

I salute your bravery, your sacrifice, your steadfastness and your commitment to your family, your God, your country, to freedom and justice. You too are heroes to me.

I just wanted to say thank you.
khintx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down