Choose Your Partner Carefully for the Sake of Your Children

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Choose Your Partner Carefully for the Sake of Your Children

Too many children have died at the hands of their mother's boyfriends, many of whom had a violent past that the mothers were fully aware of. It looks like Jozlynn Mari Martinez is the latest victim. Aveion Lewis, Robert Manwill and many others have suffered the same fate. Marc Bookal disappeared under his mom's boyfriend's watch and still hasn't been found, and Aja Johnson was abducted by her mother's boyfriend Lester Hobbs after most likely witnessing Hobbs murder her mother.

Thirty-five percent of child abuse deaths in Hamilton County, Ohio were at the hands of their mother's boyfriend and I'm sure that the statistics are similar in most places. Please choose your partner wisely if you are a single mother and don't allow your child to become another statistic.

I would like to thank Piper for sharing the following video with us. Please share this with all the single mothers you know.

Last edited by Justice4all on Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Choose Your Partner Carefully for the Sake of Your Children :: Comments

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:12 am by Piper

J4A, thank you for putting this message out there. Below is the announcement of the start of this campaign. A few other Ohio counties have started similar campaigns.

Campaign Targets Child Abuse by Moms' Boyfriends
January 31, 2010

Kaylee Ann Schnurr, 18 months old; Christopher Beck, 1; Trustin Blue, 3; Milton Baker, 7; and Malakai Glenn, 1.

Moira Weir, director of Hamilton County Department of Job and Family Services, wants to make sure that no one forgets the names of these children or how they died.

They were beaten to death by their mothers' boyfriends.

Beginning Monday, the agency is rolling out Choose Your Partner Carefully - a campaign of commercials, billboards and brochures aimed at alerting mothers and others in a child's life to the warning signs.

"When mothers are choosing a partner, they are not just choosing for themselves, they are choosing for their children too," Weir said. "Choosing the wrong partner can be, literally, deadly.

Of 17 Hamilton County children who died as a result of abuse since 2005, six were killed by their mother's boyfriend, according to Job and Family Service case files.

In addition to Kaylee, Christopher, Trustin, Milton and Malakai, a 1-year-old Reading girl died last year. No charges have been filed in that case, but JFS believes the abuse was inflicted by her mother's boyfriend.

That 35 percent rate is higher than the national average of 15 percent, as reported by the National Child Abuse and Neglect Data System.

"We know from unfortunate experience that just because someone loves a mom, it does not mean they love the child," Weir said. "This campaign is focusing on a very specific and often deadly form of abuse."

A handful of counties around the state, including Lorain and Franklin counties, have launched similar campaigns.

Weir said the number of deaths in Hamilton County demanded action.

Weir said the idea for the education campaign came up in 2006 after four such deaths in a little over a year.

The Ohio Department of Health reports that of the cases in which a child was killed due to child abuse or neglect, the mother's partner was cited in 28 percent of cases.

In Hamilton County, 13.3 percent of all substantiated abuse and neglect cases in 2009 were attributed to the mother's boyfriend or husband, who wasn't related to the child.

Dr. Scott Bresler, a forensic psychologist at University of Cincinnati Department of Psychiatry and director of in-patient psychology at University Hospital, said in some cases, a child from a previous relationship is a reminder to the perpetrator that this individual was at one time not theirs, and in other cases the men resent raising or caring for a child that is not their own, he said.

"It's scary, but we're dealing with people who are psychopathic," Bresler said. "These people walk through the world by a different set of rules. They don't have a conscience."

If the awareness campaign isn't deterrent enough, Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters' track record shows there are criminal consequences. Deters feels so strongly about such cases that he helped change Ohio law to make killing a child under the age of 13 a death-penalty offense.

During his first stint as prosecutor Deters lobbied state lawmakers for the change after 12-year-old Matthew Richmond died from burns when his mother's boyfriend held him in a tub of scalding water as punishment for soiling his pants and another man tortured and beat to death his girlfriend's 15-month-old daughter, Star Hollingsworth.

In the five Hamilton County killings since 2005, four men are serving life sentence and a fifth was sentenced to death.

And mothers can be held accountable too, Deters said. In two of the cases, the child's mother was also charged with child endangering for allowing the abuse to happen.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100131/NEWS0107/2010305/County+targets+boyfriends++child+abuse

Last edited by Piper on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:53 pm by Justice4all

You are welcome Piper. I also posted a link to the video on our Twitter page.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:13 pm by FystyAngel

I sometimes wonder if these single women should maybe get a background check done on their perspective boyfriends???? I mean, seriously. Things seem to be much different these days.

I remember when my children were young, I didn't allow anyone near them.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:10 pm by Piper

Kaylee Ann Schnurr was the precious 18 month old daughter of 20 year old Marigrace Schnurr of Ohio. By all accounts, she was a "...happy little girl running around with pigtails, chasing after her cousins."

Kaylee died July 23, 2005, the victim of a rape and beating.

Arrested for her murder was her mother's boyfriend, Matthew Carovillano. He was placed on suicide watch in the Hamilton County Justice Center.

Click to read and sign the Kaylee's Law petition.

How many more Kaylee Schnurr's must there be before we act against childhood sexual assault & abuse, and against sexual assault as a whole? I pray we wake up soon.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:22 pm by Piper

Trustin Blue died of severe injuries in January 2006. Trustin’s mother left him with her boyfriend, Lamont Hunter despite court orders against it. He goes on trial June 11, charged with aggravated murder, rape and child endangering.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:32 pm by Carly

Piper wrote:Kaylee died July 23, 2005, the victim of a rape and beating.

Arrested for her murder was her mother's boyfriend, Matthew Carovillano. He was placed on suicide watch in the Hamilton County Justice Center.
Why place him under suicide watch? If he wants to off himself and save the taxpayers some money then let him.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:26 pm by Piper

My thoughts exactly, Carly. Why stop them if they want to off themselves, let them go for it.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 pm by Piper

Milton Baker III...6 years old

WTVG (WTVG) -- It has been nearly two years since a little boy from Toledo was savagely beaten by his mother's boyfriend in Cincinnati. Fred Johnson was convicted Friday. Now relatives in Toledo are reacting to that sentence.

The victim's grandfather says the conviction will not bring back his "little man" who loved to play in a west Toledo neighborhood. Milton Baker Sr. says he and his wife raised their 6-year-old grandson little Milton Baker III. Shelves filled with pictures serve as a shrine in honor of Milton in his grandparents living room.

The last two years of his life were spent in Cincinnati with his mother, Latina Stallworth and her boyfriend Fred Johnson. Yesterday, a Hamilton County jury found Johnson guilty on charges of murder, felonious assault and child endangering. He faces a life sentence for fatally beating this young boy. A coroner report states that little Milton was bruised from head to toe, suffering numerous broken ribs, hips and a broken wrist. Injuries the Baker family says is unimaginable.

Johnson will be sentenced February 19. Now Stallworth, the boy's mother, is charged with child endangering and faces up to five years. A charge that's not sitting well with the Bakers. They would like to see more charges filed against her for not preventing the abuse.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=5902290

Last edited by Piper on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:57 pm by Cali

The Choose Your Partner should be standard curriculum for middle and high school students. It should be a continuous nationwide campaign, was child abuse appears to be on the increase.
I still remember the sad and shocking case of Emma Thompson, aged 4, of Spring Texas, who was murdered by her mother's BF, Lucas Coe. Abigail Young, Emma's mother, was a registered nurse. The autopsy stated that Emma died of internal injuries, and her little body must have brought tears to the ones who had to view her. Despite Emma being diagnosed with oral and genital herpes, she was allowed to stay with the "mother". This poor little girl suffered so much while she was alive. She was raped, and savagely beaten, and had prior visible bruises. CPS allowed this to happen. The STD should have been sufficient cause to remove Emma and place her with her father. Emma died needlessly. This little girl's mother was not a poor uneducated woman. She came from a prominent family, was a nurse, and yet she allowed this scum of the earth to share her bed and stay at her home, tho he had prior records of abuse.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:42 am by Piper

You know, the sad thing is, I can't find pictures of most of these murdered children.

Boy Killed During Potty Training, Police Say
Mom's Boyfriend Charged
POSTED: 7:52 am CDT July 19, 2007

CINCINNATI -- A judge ruled that a teenager will be tried as an adult for the death of an 18-month-old boy whose mother testified that he was repeatedly swung like a bat against the wall when the teen became frustrated during toilet training.

Derris Smith, 18, the mother's live-in boyfriend, has been charged with murder. He was 17 on June 27, when, police said, he delivered the beating that led to Malakai Glenn's death four days later.

The impact of the child hitting the wall left drywall stuck to his head and cracked a wooden door, said the boy's mother Sasha Glenn, 20, who cried often during her testimony Wednesday.

"When I picked him up he put his arms around me," Glenn said. "He was staring at me for a minute with big eyes, then he went limp." The child never regained consciousness and died after being hospitalized at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.

Following the Wednesday hearing, Hamilton County Juvenile Court Judge Thomas Lipps said Smith should be tried as adult. The case will now go to a grand jury.

During the court hearing, Smith and his parents, who sat by their son, also cried.

Glenn said the ordeal began when Smith put the toddler on a child's toilet that was in the room where the three were sharing a bed and the couple went to sleep. She said Smith became angry when he saw the child resting his head on a pillow that she had placed on a stool in front of the toilet.

When Glenn said the boy had had enough, Smith told her, "Don't tell me what to do," she testified. "He picked him up and hit his head on the wall" before dropping him on the bed.

The couple tried to get the child to drink water and put him in the shower before calling 911.

Glenn said she had initially told police her son fell down stairs because she didn't want Smith to get in trouble, but changed her story when the child didn't recover.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said it has not been determined whether Glenn will be charged in connection with the death.

According to testimony, Glenn is pregnant with Smith's child, and Malakai Glenn was not his son.

Smith is being held in the Hamilton County Juvenile Detention Center on $500,000 bond.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:50 am by Piper

Cali, you are so right. This curriculum needs to be in the schools, but the reality is.....what is allowed these days? It seems the schools are not permitted to teach "real life" , IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 am by Julie

Piper wrote:You know, the sad thing is, I can't find pictures of most of these murdered children.

You know what else is sad, I saw another case, where the ONLY picture of the deceased child was the one the person performing the autopsy took, after they applied make-up to the bruises. I can't remember which child it was, I think it was a girl, I saw it on youtube a while back.

I remembered & checked, it was baby Brianna.

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:26 pm by Guest

it just makes me sick... I can't imagine what these innocent little beings endured before stepping into heaven. I think about my own babies and how precious they are, ALL children are a GIFT - and should be treated as such. This is all just unfathomable... Mothers, please, I beg you, please, pick a man that would be a good daddy before you choose them as a husband... you owe it to your children - they didn't ask for this - please - there are men out there who will step up to the plate and be a good daddy - just be patient and get your priorities in order - putting your kids first...

Back to top Go down

Post on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:41 pm by Estee

I don't think I could ever understand why a man would rape an innocent child...Do they think they can get away with it...is it just because they want something "tight"? How can they be "turned on" by these kids...and I can't understand why men/young men rape elderly people either...saggy, wrinkly, skinny, fat..turns them on??? I know I don't get excited when I see a man fitting the above description...is there something wrong with ME ? or are they just SICK ? They make me sick!!! barf

Back to top Go down

Post on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:54 pm by Guest

Estee - i have wondered that for many yrs - how can a man even get excited by a child? it doesn't compute for me, and the only explanation is that the offender is not normal - they are driven by unexplainable desires - and they don't operate by the normal status quo - not the same type of man as say our dads and our brothers and our husbands... these are evil creatures, preying on innocent victims, completely selfish and not caring how they are ruining the child... mind, body and soul - they steal their innocence. I just hope that there is a special place in hell for these ppl to rot in - this is the worst kind of crime to me - to take what isn't theirs from someone so innocent and helpless that they aren't even able to defend themself. It angers me beyond words. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:04 pm by Guest

I found this article while reading about Lindsey Baum earlier today that I thought was fitting for this thread. This SO tells the court in his own words how he targeted his victims - finding single mothers that were struggling to make ends meet and "helping" out until he was trusted enough to babysit the children. He operated this way for more than 2 decades, and has 24 victims... SICKENING...

http://www.tdn.com/news/state-and-regional/article_74185f52-22ff-11df-97ab-001cc4c002e0.html

Back to top Go down

Post on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm by Justice4all

That article is very disturbing. Timm spent two decades worming his way into the lives of single mothers so he could victimize their children. There is no way he has been rehabilitated. It is sickening to read about him saying his victims are his family. I hope the jury keeps him in state custody for life.

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 am by Guest

to me he sounded very much like Jaycee's captor and even Elizabeth Smart's captor as well - trying to make a family of sorts including the young girls as some sort of family member...
It's heart wrenching...

Back to top Go down

Post on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 am by Piper

In my opinion, that is how most of them operate. And the mother's tend to look the other way. It's very scary to look into the mind of a child molester. To actually hear him speak of his technique and how easy it was for him to accomplish what he wanted is extremely disturbing. Hopefully he'll never walk free again.

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:13 am by Piper

April is National Child Abuse Prevention and Awareness Month

In 1989, the Blue Ribbon Campaign to Prevent Child Abuse had its early beginnings as a Virginia grandmother's tribute to her grandson who died as a result of abuse. She tied a blue ribbon to the antenna of her car as a way to remember him and to alert her community to the tragedy of child abuse. The Blue Ribbon Campaign has since expanded across the country, and many wear blue ribbons each April in memory of those who have died as a result of child abuse. In other communities, special fundraisers are held to support prevention activities and treatment facilities for victims, and candlelight vigils are held as a remembrance. Most recently, the focus has shifted toward a more positive message of celebrating "blue ribbon" individuals, organizations, and communities who have done much to prevent child abuse and neglect.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/preventing/preventionmonth/history.cfm

Back to top Go down

Post on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:52 pm by TigerMom

Thanks Piper for posting this! It is just as important as breast cancer and other ribbon wearing causes. These are all our children who need us to protect them!

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 pm by NickyG

Personally I am thrilled they put him on suicide watch. Why should he get to kill himself? He deserves to live with what he did for the rest of life. Kaylee is my husbands daughter and everyday our family has to live the rest of our lives feeling the anger and sadness of losing a sweet angel.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:31 pm by Justice4all

Welcome Nicky. My heart breaks for you and your husband. A child should never have to suffer such a senseless death. I hope Carovillano suffers everyday for the rest of his miserable life behind bars.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:26 pm by sitemama

Welcome NickyG to the greatest, caring site in the world.

I, too, am very sorry for you and your husband as no one should have to endure this pain. I'm sorry, I don't remember this case, but has the perp been tried yet, and if so, what kind of sentence did he get?

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:39 pm by Justice4all

Sitemama, Matthew Carovillano was the perp who raped and killed 18-month-old Kaylee Schnurr in 2005. He was given multiple life sentences.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:57 pm by Julie

Welcome NickyG.

I am so sorry for your family's pain & loss.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:46 pm by Piper

Hi NickyG, I am so sorry for the pain and loss of little Kaylee. I would not want to walk in your shoes, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum