Kids In Palmetto Bay Get A Lesson In Self-Defense

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by FystyAngel on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:08 pm

http://cbs4.com/local/Palmetto.Bay.Self.2.1576790.html

When it comes to the safety of their children, parents in Palmetto Bay aren't taking any chances.

A group of 4th, 5th and 6th graders have undergone two weeks of intense self defense training. It is training their parents hope they never have to use, but feel is vital to their children's safety when confronted with danger, whether it be from a stranger or someone they know.

"It makes me feel more confident that if someone tries to take me, I can defense myself," says Angelo Sciabrassi.

Young Nicholas Cummings says, "I learned to protect myself."

The training was offered by the village police department. It is part of a national child safety education program called RAD, which stands for Resisting Aggression Defensively.

Parent Marie Scisbarassi says, "I was thrilled that the school was going to offer this in this day and age when kids are being snatched off the streets, it's scary."

The kids are being taught to defend themselves when they're away from home, or even in school when they're confronted with bullying.

Mayor Eugene Flinn says, "This is not about violence; this is about getting away from your attacker and getting to authority."

Just this week a 15-year-old girl was beaten unconscious at a school in Deerfield Beach. A 15-year-old boy from another school is charged with attempted murder. While these cases are rare, they are alarming and these parents want their kids to be able to handle any situation.

In addition to teaching self defense training , the class also builds confidence.

"It has empowered them to say to someone trying to harm them and to get away from people they can and can't trust," parent Verbena Cummings says.

And these parents hope their kids will trust their training if they ever need it.

Admin

Mood : Neener

http://www.realitychatter.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top