Girl Attacked as Students and Parents Cheer, Take Video

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Justice4all on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:21 pm

Posted by Kealan Oliver
April 2, 2010 12:27 PM

OAKDALE, Calif. (CBS/KOVR) Crowds of students and parents gathered around to watch an Oakdale High School freshman violently beat her classmate. Instead of calling 911, students whipped out their cell phones to record the attack.

Manita Hazlewood, the mother of the victim, told CBS affiliate KOVR that her daughter didn't have a chance to fight back. "This girl was on top of her slamming her head into the ground," she said.

The flight lasted about 30 seconds but the girl was already badly beaten and suffered a concussion. A mother, who wants to remain anonymous, says she stepped in to help as she witnessed parents cheering on the attacker.

"I was very shocked. These are grown parents. This girl had enough time, and these people were right next to it," said the woman.

The victim's mother told KOVR, "She's traumatized. Not only was she beaten, it was on YouTube; there's video. I got three different versions of it."

In the recording, students can be heard egging on the attack.

Hazlewood's daughter was brought back to the school and interviewed by administrators and cops. Hazlewood is angry the school didn't call her even though her daughter was badly beaten.

Oakdale Joint Unified School District Superintendent Fred Rich told KOVR, "We try to ensure the safety. It's not always physically possible, especially if we don't know about it."

KOVR says the victim was suspended even though the video allegedly shows her to be the recipient of the attack. The other girl has reportedly been expelled.

Police are investigating. No word yet on what the fight caused the fight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20001657-504083.html
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Re: Girl Attacked as Students and Parents Cheer, Take Video

Post by sitemama on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Why would they suspend the girl that was beaten????

Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Justice4all on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:04 am

sitemama wrote:Why would they suspend the girl that was beaten????
That doesn't make any sense to me either mama. I also don't know how parents could just stand there and cheer on an attack like that, especially after what happened to Josie Ratley.
Justice4all
Admin

Mood : Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by sitemama on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:47 am

This girl may have also sent a text message like Josie did. I am not too sure middle school kids should have phones with texting ability. I know for a fact, my 13 y/o twins have gotten into lots of trouble with texting on their phones. But, now their phones are blocked and they can only receive and send calls and texts to their mom and myself. That is just in cases of an emergency
calls. After they get home, the phones are taken away until they are ready to go out the door to school the next morning.

But that is another story. Just something else to keep my blood pressure elevated. OMG Kids!!!!

Admin

Mood : Praying

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 am

I agree on the texting issue, kids that age will say anything and not realize how damaging it can be when passed around. I can't believe they didn't call this girl's mother right away. Do most schools require phones to be kept in lockers until after school hours? It's so shameful these parents stood by and condoned this beating. Nice role models for their kids.
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top