Mom drives van into river, killing self and 3 kids

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Julie on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Police say a 10-year-old boy, escaped through car window; incident called suicide

msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated 2 hours 7 minutes ago 2011-04-13T17:33:41

NEWBURGH, N.Y. — Police say a 10-year-old boy escaped through the window of a minivan as his mother intentionally drove herself and three other children into New York's Hudson River.

A drenched and shaken Lashaun Armstrong stumbled into the Newburgh Fire Department at about 7:50 p.m. local time on Tuesday, police said.

"The boy reported that his mother had driven the car into the river," said Newburgh Police Chief Michael Ferrara.

It appeared the children were alive when the mother "intentionally drove the car into the river," he said.

Dead in the vehicle were Lashandra Armstrong, 25, her sons Landon Pierce, 5, and Lance Pierre, 2, and daughter, Lainaina Pierce, 11 months, authorities said.

Read more:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42564046/ns/us_news-life/

Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of livin' is gone.~~~JM
Julie
Admin

Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Re: Mom drives van into river, killing self and 3 kids

Post by Piper on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:11 pm

This is just heartbreaking! I can't imagine the minutes of terror they all suffered. This 10 year old has a long recovery ahead of him. I hope he has a lot of support.

Then to read she knew she had made a mistake and tried to back up....

Boy: River crash mom said kids were `going to die'

Associated Press Michael Hill, Associated Press – 49 mins ago

NEWBURGH, N.Y. – The 10-year-old who escaped a sinking minivan as his mother and three siblings drowned says his suicidal mother told her kids "you're all going to die with me." The boy says his mother then changed her mind and tried to back out of New York's frigid Hudson River.

Meave (mayv) Ryan was driving past the boat ramp in Newburgh on Tuesday evening when she spotted La'Shaun Armstrong, sopping wet, waving his arms.

Ryan tells The Associated Press that the boy told her his mother, Lashanda Armstrong, had had a "big, big argument" with his stepfather, then piled her four children in the minivan and drove to the river.

As the vehicle sank, La'Shaun broke free of his mother's grasp and clambered out a window. He heard her say "I made a terrible mistake" as she tried frantically to back up.

Read more:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110414/ap_on_re_us/us_family_s_minivan_river_deaths
Piper

Mood : Innocent

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top