Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder

Post by Nan11 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:30 pm

Below are tweets from Wes Wolfe@WolfeReports.  The link is at the very bottom.  I have copied and pasted them so that they are ordered from the start of the day.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
ADA Boz Zellinger is handling the opening statement for the state.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
"This is a case about the hate that leads to dismemberment." -- Zellinger

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Hayes attorney Will Durham says Amanda Hayes killed Ackerson while in an argument. "Just something that happened."

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Durham says there was a lot of hostility between Amanda Hayes and Ackerson, that Amanda was resentful

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Durham also says even with Grant Hayes and Ackerson's custody arguments, they didn't skew toward the violent.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Durham says Amanda Hayes told her sister about Ackerson, "I hurt Laura, and now she's dead."

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Durham says Grant Hayes got what he wanted before that -- exchanging $25K in exchange for custody of the kids.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
He adds that Amanda Hayes' sister was basically an accessory after the fact in giving the Hayes what they needed to dispose of the body

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Ackerson friend and business associate Chevon Mathes is first on the stand for the state. Mathes reported Ackerson missing.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
(1/2) Zellinger said at 2:40 a.m. the day after Ackerson disappeared, Grant Hayes went to a Walmart and bought...

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
(2/2)...a Skil reciprocating saw w/ 6 in. blades, a large plastic tarp, goggles and industrial-grade rubber gloves.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
(1/2) Zellinger said police first found Ackerson's torso, split in half. The next day, they found parts of her legs...

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
(2/2)...a few days later, further down the creek, they found more leg parts and her head.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
The ADA gave the impression (Texas heat, creek water at 89 degrees) that decomp was aggressively underway.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
For his part, Durham gave the impression Grant got caught up in it because Amanda was irrationally angry.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Amazingly, it's basically stipulated the Hayes sawed apart Ackerson's body, transported it to Texas and dumped it.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Interesting how the state and defense split hairs as to which of the Hayes was sufficiently more unhinged to commit the crime.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Mathes says 3-4 mos. from the crime, Ackerson told her she feared for her life, and if anything happened, Grant did it.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
State enters into evidence personal and professional notebooks secured from Ackerson's apartment. Going over appts.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
This cross-exam has been eight minutes of...not much. I call it, "the ameoba criminal defense."

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Mathes steps down, court goes into afternoon break. Prosecution strong out of the gate, but that's expected.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
State calls Heidi Schumacher to the stand, self-described best friend of Ackerson.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Schumacher said she and Hayes were at odds from the jump -- says she heard Hayes tell Ackerson to stop being friends w/ her.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Schumacher aid she and Ackerson kept their friendship on the DL. Said Ackerson wanted to leave Hayes when he went to Virgin Islands.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Schumacher said those plans went sideways when Ackerson learned she was pregnant w/ second child, and she and Hayes reunited.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Schumacher said Ackerson thought she was married to Hayes until he sent a photo of him and Amanda getting married in Vegas.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports
Ackerson, Schumacher said, checked their marriage license and Hayes had never signed it. *Surprise*

https://twitter.com/WolfeReports
Nan11

Mood : Whistling

Back to top Go down

Re: Laura Jean Ackerson -- Deceased 7/13/11 -- Grant and Amanda Hayes Charged With Murder

Post by Nan11 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38 pm

I found the article below to be a good summation of the opening statements.

The News & Observer | Trial begins for Raleigh man accused of dismembering mother of his sons
Published: August 29, 2013 | By Anne Blythe

Prosecutors contend Ackerson was killed on July 13, a Wednesday that she woke up excited about. The 27-year-old mother typically had custody of her two sons on the weekends. But on that summer day, she told at least three people in a phone call and at business meetings that she had been invited to Raleigh by Grant Hayes to see her pre-school aged children, Grant and Gentle, in midweek.

Prosecutors contend the invitation was part of a “malignant, calculated” plot to kill Ackerson.

The defense team contends there was no forethought, but pointed a finger at Amanda Hayes.

“It wasn’t planned, but it happened,” Durham said.

Durham contended the killing happened after Grant Hayes and Ackerson had agreed among themselves on that Wednesday to drop a bitter custody battle in the courts.

He said Grant Hayes agreed to give Ackerson $25,000 to let him have custody of the boys. Investigators confiscated a piece of paper during the investigation that has since been studied by handwriting analysts in which Ackerson wrote that by doing so she was not agreeing to terminate her parental rights.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/29/3147275/trial-begins-for-raleigh-man-accused.html#storylink=cpy
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Here is the picture the prosecutors showed of Laura today:

And here is a picture of Laura with her two sons, ages 3 years and 2 years, at the time of her murder.

Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:16 pm

State's opening statements in Grant Hayes murder trial

Wake County Assistant District Attorney Boz Zellinger presents opening statements on behalf of the state in the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes on Aug. 29, 2013.

Today - 3:46pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12832567/#/vid12832567

Defense's opening statements in Grant Hayes murder trial

Attorney Will Durham presents opening statements on behalf of the defense in the first-degree murder trial of Grant Hayes on Aug. 29, 2013.

Today - 3:46pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12832578/#/vid12832578

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 1 pt 1)

Aug. 29, 2013, testimony of Chevon Mathes.

Today - 7:47pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12833926/#/vid12833926

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 1 pt 2)

Aug. 29, 2013, testimony of Heidi Schumacher.

Today - 7:47pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12833927/#/vid12833927
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks for all the updates, Nan!  Especially the videos, because I missed part of the opening statements.
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:36 pm

CuriousPortlander wrote:Thanks for all the updates, Nan!  Especially the videos, because I missed part of the opening statements.
Your welcome, CP.

The sound isn't any better in the videos than it was this afternoon.  
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Nan, you rock! Thank you for the videos. I appreciate that you posted the videos.

I had to be out of town this afternoon and did not get to watch any of the trial today. Listening to the videos now.
Ann - Tx

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Ann - Tx wrote:Nan, you rock!   Thank you for the videos.  I appreciate that you posted the videos.

I had to be out of town this afternoon and did not get to watch any of the trial today.  Listening to the videos now.
Your welcome, Ann - Tx.  After all the links you post to keep me updated, it was certainly my pleasure to add something that helped out.
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Grant Hayes trial - 8/29/13

Post by Ann - Tx on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:41 pm

WRAL - Raleigh, NC

Posted: 10:05 a.m. today  (8/29/13)
Updated: 7:08 p.m. today

Raleigh man's defense blames wife for ex-girlfriend's murder

Raleigh, N.C. — A Raleigh man on trial for the grisly murder of his ex-girlfriend and the mother of his two sons was involved in a bitter child custody dispute that drove him and his wife to plan and carry out her death in an effort to rid her from their lives, Wake County prosecutors said Thursday.

But defense attorneys for Grant Ruffin Hayes said it was his wife, Amanda Hayes, who killed Laura Jean Ackerson at the Hayeses' northwest Raleigh apartment on the evening of July 13, 2011, and then took charge of the situation to hide evidence of the unplanned attack

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-man-s-defense-blames-wife-for-ex-girlfriend-s-murder/12830920/
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:27 am

Below is Mr. Wolfe's most recent article on the make up of the jury.  I find jury selection interesting.  I have never seen two trials where the same method was used.

Kinston.com | Jury impaneled in Hayes murder trial
By Wes Wolfe / Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 at 21:41 PM.

"The jury as constituted has eight women, four men, 10 whites and two blacks."

Read more: (Four page write up.)
http://www.kinston.com/news/local/jury-impaneled-in-hayes-murder-trial-1.194301?page=2

Last edited by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:41 am

The link below is Mr. Wolfe's article on yesterday's proceedings in the court room.

Kinston.com | State, defense dispute which Hayes guilty for Ackerson murder
By Wes Wolfe / Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 20:19 PM.

"Following the opening statements, the prosecution began its case with two witnesses — Chevon Mathes, a friend and business partner of Ackerson, and Heidi Schumacher, self-described as Ackerson’s best friend.

They both testified that about two months before her death, Ackerson told them that if anything happened to her, Grant Hayes would be the responsible person.

Schumacher returns to the stand for the defense’s cross-examination at 9:30 a.m. today at the Wake County Justice Center."

Read more:  (Three page write up.)
http://www.kinston.com/news/local/state-defense-dispute-which-hayes-guilty-for-ackerson-murder-1.194999?page=2
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:55 am

Nan11, I posted info about this trial on Developing Stories & Just for Chat and Linked to this thread.

I will have to be gone most of the day.

Do you know what time the trial starts this morning? We will have to let folks know the trial is eastern time (EDT). Oops, I see the above snip says 9:30 a.m. EDT.

When the Live Stream begins, could you please post the Link here for those who might want to watch the trial?

Nan, thank you so much for all of the updates.  It appears I will have to watch a great part of the trial from the archived videos.
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:04 am

Will do, Ann!  

A few of us meet in chat, too--so if anyone would like to drop in and join us--that would be wonderful.
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 am

Below are three links where the trial will be live streamed.  So far, none of them are active--but ABC is showing the court seal.
Also, I have included the link for our chat room.  Hope to see you there!  

WRAL
http://www.wral.com/news/video/12826677/#/vid12826677

ABC
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/livenow?id=9223333

Wild About Trial
http://wildabouttrial.com/grant-hayes-live-stream.html

Reality Chatter's Live Chat
http://www.realitychatter.com/h10-chat
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks, Nan! You are awesome!  

I will be back this evening! I wish I could watch the trial today (in real time) & chat with you all, Nan.
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:03 am

You are awesome, too, Ms. Ann - Tx!

When you have more time, I noticed that Summertime is looking for a live streaming link for an Ipad.

I know during the Zimmerman trial, I saw specific links for them but they were easy to find and I'm not seeing any for this trial.

Any input you could share on this would be greatly appreciated.

(I'm still back in the dark ages, with an old desktop--that I frequently pray will work.)
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Summertime on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:18 am

That wral link works, in fact.....that is the best trial video and audio that I have ever seen on this iPad. Holy cow, I Am so very spoiled now.
Summertime

Mood : Vacation

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Ann - Tx wrote:sitemama, I posted Links about this case on Developing Stories at The Hinky Meter because I know there are folks from NC that post there.

The following is a comment from Carolina-grandma Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:56 am:

Ann, I have been following this case since Laura first went missing. She lived in Kinston which is about 20 minutes from me. The latest is that they've arrested her ex and his wife. All of the news reports have been very confusing. It started out that she had dropped her kids off with her ex at his home in Raleigh, but when it was time for her to pick them up, they were to meet midway between the 2 towns in Rocky Mount. The ex says he waited an hour & a half, but she never showed up. He did not report her missing for some reason, a friend of hers did this instead. Anyway, over the weekend, they found her car in Raleigh and then we heard about the dismembered remains being found near Houston. I also don't understand why they would take her body all the way to Houston. In one report I read, it said that she was visiting relatives near Houston, but that makes no sense - in other articles it states that the ex drove her body to TX. Anyway, her ex's wife was either involved in the murder or an accomplice because she has been arrested too. I have no idea what's happened to the children at this point - I pray they are with family.
CL - there does seem to be a lot of dismembering going on around here these days, WTH ???

~~~~~

Carolina_grandma Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 am  

Just to clear up a couple of points in my previous post....
Laura was to meet her ex and pick up the kids on 7/13. Her friend did not realize anything was amiss and did not report her missing until the 15th. I'm sure this will be key when this goes to trial - why didn't the ex report her missing when she didn't show up to pick up the kids?
I just read that the wife of Laura's ex was more than an accomplice, she has been charged with murder as well.If I hear more, I'll share....

~~~~~~
Above posted at:

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1049&start=950
The Hinky Meter  by Valhall  -  Developing Stories - Pages 20 and 21

Bumping for a fast read....
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:20 pm

From July 26, 2011, Ann-TX posted....
Turn back a few pages for the full story...

" ... Five coolers (ice chests), a suitcase and a machete were among items recovered. Pictures of the items were shown. As reported earlier, some of the coolers were at the home across the road. It is the home of Amanda Perry Hayes' sister.

It appears attempts were made to clean the machete. The machete was not used to dismember Ackerson per LE. ..."
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Page 2, Ann posted this July 31:

" ... Ackerson's father says he will be bringing her back to Michigan to be buried here. He also says he has already looked into bringing her children back to Michigan and would like to have custody of them..."

Read more:

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/texas-1394015-dismembered-michigan.html
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Song Grant wrote:

" ... The song is called "Broomstick Rider" and ABC11 learned Hayes wrote the song about Ackerson. The song is about the couple's troubled relationship.

The following lines are from the chorus. "My babies momma, don't talk to me. Don't want your drama. I got two kids by you; I can't take anymore from you."

"....The song continues with lyrics about their custody battle. "I would wake up every morning hoping one of us would go, but not me 'cause I'm paying the bills. Find another Sugar Daddy and a wallet with bills 'cause I know that you will when you finish trying to take my kids (unintelligible) that's how you is..."

The song also seems to include a warning for the young mother. "And then she wants me to pay her. You've lost your da-- mind. I put a price tag on your head. That's right. You must have told your attorney I got intentions on killing you. What? (unintelligible) Might stop me, but my bullets will get you soon. I've got my goons from way back. They still owe me money, told them you stayed at my mom's crib. Now ain't that funny?..."

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news%2Flocal&id=8276829
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Page 3, from Ann:

" ... the Kinston woman’s remains were found July 24, 2011, in a creek in Richmond, Texas – about 60 miles south of Houston – where Amanda Hayes' sister lives...."
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Aug 27, Ann posted:

" ...“I totally expect it,” Ackerson said learning of the finger pointing. “They can point a finger at each other attempting to create a reasonable doubt. As far as I’m concerned they are both guilty. You can’t drive 1,200 miles and ask your sister where to dump a body.”

Testimony revealed that Amanda Perry Hayes' sister who resides in Richmond, Texas helped the couple dispose of Laura’s remains. The body parts were discovered in a creek near the sister’s home at the time. Investigators believe that Laura’s body was hacked into pieces, stored in large coolers and towed in a rented trailer to Texas from North Carolina. ..."

This is so disgusting!
How is it the sister never called LE?
She needs to get her butt hauled in for conspiracy after the fact....
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:27 pm

The following videos are from WRAL.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 2 pt 1)

Part 1 of Aug. 30, 2013, testimony of Heidi Schumacher.

Today - 1:32pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12836855/#/vid12836855

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 2 pt 2)

Part 2 of Aug. 30, 2013, testimony of Heidi Schumacher.

Today - 1:43pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12836948/#/vid12836948

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 2 pt 3)

Aug. 30, 2013, testimony of former Kinston Police Department officer James Gwartney.

Today - 3:37pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12837574/#/vid12837574

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 2 pt 4)

Aug. 30, 2013, testimony of Lolita Chapman, with the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation.

Today - 4:30pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12837858/#/vid12837858

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 2 pt 5)

Aug. 30, 2013, testimony of Raleigh police Sgt. Dana Suggs.

Today - 6:21pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12838276/#/vid12838276

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 2 pt 6)

Aug. 30, 2013, testimony of Oksana Samarskiy.

Today - 6:21pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12838278/#/vid12838278

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 2 pt 7)

Part 1 of Aug. 30, 2013, testimony of Sha Guddat.

Today - 7:48pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12838536/#/vid12838536

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 2 pt 8)

Part 2 of Aug. 30, 2013, testimony of Sha Guddat.

Today - 7:48pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12838537/#/vid12838537

Last edited by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:41 pm

WRAL | Best friend speaks of threats, violence in Ackerson relationship
Posted: 12:44 p.m. today
Updated: 52 minutes ago

Raleigh, N.C. — "A Raleigh man accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend once threatened to kill her and her best friend in the parking lot of a local coffee shop, the friend told jurors Friday in his first-degree murder trial.

"He just went off and said, 'I have friends. I'm powerful. My friends are powerful, and I can kill you,'" Heidi Schumacher testified in Grant Hayes' trial of the profanity-laced exchange. "Then, he said, 'Don't (expletive) with me.'"

Unaware of why Hayes was angry at Laura Ackerson – his girlfriend at the time – Schumacher said she later obtained a concealed carry permit and purchased a gun.

"I guess they had been in arguments," she said. "I don't know what was going on in their lives that made it worse, that he would threaten both of us.""

Read more:  http://www.wral.com/best-friend-speaks-of-threats-violence-in-ackerson-relationship/12836959/
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:46 pm

ABC 11 | Friend says Hayes hit Ackerson
Friday, August 30, 2013

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- "A close friend of Laura Ackerson testified Friday that Grant Hayes left Ackerson with a bloody nose and black eye during a fight when she was pregnant with his first child.

Heidi Schumacher told jurors she was on the phone with Ackerson in 2008 and could hear Hayes yelling at Ackerson. She said when she rushed over to check on her friend, Hayes was driving off and Ackerson had obvious injuries. Schumacher said Ackerson told her Hayes hit her, but she didn't plan to press charges.

"I walked up to the door and Laura opened it, crying and bleeding. Her nose was bleeding and her eye was red like it was going to be black. She said it's OK, it's OK, I'm not going to press any charges, it's OK," said Schumacher."

Read more:  http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9225033
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Here are thumbnails of 14 pictures from ABC11 (WTVD.)  You can click on each thumbnail to enlarge it.

All pictures--with a brief description below it--are contained at this link:  http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/gallery?section=news/local&id=8266302&photo=1&pid=9225033

Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Below is an old article and video from 2011.

ABC 11 | Woman defends her accused mother
Friday, August 05, 2011

"The daughter of the woman charged in connection with the murder of Laura Ackerson spoke to ABC11 Eyewitness News. In an exclusive interview, she says her mother, Amanda Hayes, is not a monster.

Sha Elmer, 22, says her mother has never been in trouble and that's why she's having a difficult time accepting the allegations her mother is facing.

Elmer asked, "What happened? What happened?"

That was her reaction after finding out her mother, Hayes, was charged with first-degree murder.

"I don't know what happened, but that's not my mom," Elmer said. "She loves with everything she has in her heart."

Hayes's husband, Grant Hayes, is also charged in connection with the murder.

Elmer describes him as a "nice guy" who is very friendly and "very charismatic."

The 22-year-old set the record straight when it comes to who she thinks is responsible for Ackerson's murder.

"My mom is not a monster," Elmer explained. "She got pulled into a bad situation, but my mom is not a monster.""

Read more:  http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8291952
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:15 pm

I promise--unless I come across the video footage of Laura leaving her apartment for the final time--I won't post any more of these old articles.  This one contains a couple of videos of an interview with her father, as well as the write up.

I won't embed the videos because they are so old now, but I'll add a little picture of her father so we will know it is him we are seeing in court.

Rodger Ackerson, Laura's father

WRAL | Loss of slain mom 'not quite real yet' for her father
Updated: August 10, 2011

Raleigh, N.C. — "The father of a slain Kinston woman said Tuesday that his daughter expressed concern to him nearly three years ago about the relationship she had with the Raleigh man charged in her death.

But Rodger Ackerson said that he never imagined that 27-year-old Laura Ackerson would disappear or that her remains would be found more than a week later halfway across the country.

"She told me several times in 2008, when she was up spending Christmas with me – she said she had to go back (to North Carolina), because if she didn't, Grant would send his thugs around to get her," Rodger Ackerson said. "At that time, she's 24 years old, and she has her own free will."

{Snipped}

Rodger Ackerson said that he just hopes now that the justice system will prevail.

"They just can't cut her up in pieces and throw her away and not pay for it," he said.

He and his daughter, the youngest of four children, spoke on the phone at least three times a week, he said. They had a close relationship when she was growing up, and one of Roger Ackerson's fondest memories is watching butterflies with his daughter after it rained.

"It's not quite real yet," Rodger Ackerson said of his loss."

Read more:  http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9975106/
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:17 pm

Nan11 wrote:
Below is an old article and video from 2011.

ABC 11 | Woman defends her accused mother
Friday, August 05, 2011

{Snipped for space}

Thanks for posting this video, Nan (as well as all the other posts). Other than on the witness stand, I hadn't seen her say much about what she thinks about her mother's involvement in this case.
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:50 pm

I started out to make a timeline but it turned into something much longer than I intended.  With that in mind, I decided to enclose most of it in the spoiler.

So, if you are interested in a long read, click on the spoiler.  Embarassed 

Laura Ackerson - Timeline

Sometime in May, 2011

The custody evaluation came back.  Laura was excited.   She wanted her boys in her life more than just on the weekends and had worked hard to achieve her goal.  Things looked promising.

After many hours of interviews, Dr. Ginger Calloway had prepared a report stating that “they,” (Grant and Amanda), appeared to want to obliterate Laura from their lives.

Spoiler:
June 1 | Wednesday

5:24: pm | Laura texted Grant:
Due to lies in your exparte motion.  It doesn’t change the truth.  I’ll call you when they are ready.

5:49 pm | Laura texted Grant
Cut the shit grant.  I know who you are.  I’m not playing.  I’ll call you when they wake up.

July 5 | Tuesday

In Kinston, NC | Laura wrote in her journal/diary that she had dropped the boys off at Grant and Amanda’s apartment on this date.

July 10, 2001 – Sunday

11:56 pm in Kinston, NC | Laura and Heidi began an exchange of short emails concerning Laura’s upcoming custody battle.

July 12, 2011 - Tuesday

In Kinston, NC | Laura spent half the day with Chevon, even taking Chevon to look at vehicles.  The two discussed their plans for their business, “Fork and Spoon,” and Laura went over the appointments in Wilson that she was going to keep the next day.  Chevon left around 4:00 pm.

10:29 pm in Kinston, NC | Laura and Oksana communicated in an online chat.  Tentative plans had been made to meet in Raleigh the next day, if time permitted.

July 13, 2011 – Wednesday

1:15 am in Kinston, NC | Laura and Heidi again exchange emails.  Among other topics discussed, Laura asked what Heidi thought regarding contacting Grant’s ex-wife to see if she might testify at the upcoming custody hearing.

8:10 am in Kinston, NC | Laura left her apartment in Kinston, NC.

In Wilson, NC | Laura kept the following appointments to see future clients in Wilson, NC:
9:00 am; 10:00 am; 2:00 pm; 3:00 pm

10:51 am in Wilson, NC | Laura called Grant.  The call lasted 4 minutes and 38 seconds.

12:56 pm | Laura texted Grant
I can’t be there until after my last appointment in Wilson.  When do you think they will be up?

1:44:18 pm | Laura texted Grant
This is why there are issues.  Can y . . .

1:44:20 pm | Laura texted Grant
. . . ever you like between 4 and 5.  Thank you for your pending response.

2:58 pm | Laura texted Grant
It is not a big deal to you.  I told you.

4:12 pm | Laura texted Grant
Okay, I’m leaving the Wilson area now.  I’ll call when I get past the traffic.  Where will you be at in an hour or so?

4:13 pm; 4:17 pm; 4:19 pm in Raleigh, NC | Grant exchanged text messages with Lauren who worked for Monkey Joe’s.  Grant had been thinking that he might take the boys there, but changed his mind.

In Raleigh, NC | At some point, Grant had apparently obtained a Samsung cell phone that he kept specifically for Laura’s calls and texts.  He entered her in his address book of his phone as “Laura 2 new number.”

4:19 pm in Wilson, NC | Laura called Oksana and left the following voice mail:

“Hi lady, it’s Laura.  I am [inaudible] into Raleigh.  I’ll be there in about an hour but I’m gonna go visit with my boys.  Don’t know what’s going to happen as far as that’s concerned.  So I’ll just give you a call when I’m done and I just wanted to let you know, too.  I don’t know if I’ll be able to see you before 7:00 but I wanted to find out if you’re gonna be available after that at any point.  Give me a call.  I’ll talk to you later.  Bye.”

4:59 pm in Raleigh, NC | Laura called Grant’s cell phone.  The call bounced off the tower near the Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, NC.  She was 8 to 10 minutes from Grant and Amanda’s apartment.  The call lasted 1.97 seconds.

In Kinston, NC | Chevon had spoken with Laura numerous times via cell phone on this day, and was expecting Laura to call her around 9:00 pm to 9:30 pm in the evening.  Laura never called.

July 14, 2011 – Thursday

2:40 am in Raleigh, NC | Grant entered a nearby Walmart, Raleigh, NC, and purchased:
1)  A plastic tarp – 9 X 12 feet
2)  Goggles
3)  Firm grip stripping, refinishing, and cleaning gloves
4)  Skill reciprocating saw with 6 inch blades
5)  Other sized blades

In Kinston, NC | Chevon tried to contact Laura, but the call went straight to voice mail.

10:00 am to 10:30 am in Raleigh, NC | Amanda called Sha, her 20 year old daughter from a previous marriage, and asked her to come to the apartment to pick up the boys.  Sha agreed; picked up the boys and took them to Monkey Joe’s.  She did not see Grant when she picked up the boys.

In Kinston, NC | Chevon walked to Laura’s apartment and could see that Laura’s vehicle was not in its parking spot.  Chevon was worried.

4:00 pm in Raleigh, NC | Sha returned the boys to Grant and Amanda’s apartment, and her mother asked if she could borrow Sha’s vacuum, and if Sha would get her and Grant takeout food.

5:30 pm to 6:00 pm in Raleigh, NC | Sha again returned to Grant and Amanda’s apartment, this time with her vacuum cleaner and food from Wendy’s for Grant and Amanda.  She saw Grant at this time.

8:45 pm in Raleigh, NC | Grant and his two boys purchased a power adapter from the Apple Store in the Crabtree Valley Mall, in Raleigh, NC.

July 15, 2011 – Friday

In Raleigh, NC | Grant purchased duffel bags.

12:11 pm in Kinston, NC | Chevon sent Laura an email asking Laura to let her know if she was okay.

Morning or early afternoon in Raleigh, NC | Amanda and Sha talked via cell phones.  Amanda told Sha that Grant, the boys, Lillian, and herself were all moving to Grant’s parent’s house in Kinston on Saturday.  Sha said that this move had been discussed for a week or two, and was deemed necessary as Grant and Amanda’s financial situation was “swirling out of control.”  Amanda also said they needed to get a tow hitch put on their vehicle because they planned on renting a U-Haul trailer to help with their move.

4:29 pm in Wilson, NC | Grant entered the Sheetz Gas Station in Wilson, NC.  He had the boys with him and appeared to wait for Laura.  (This was the scheduled time and place for the custody swap.  Laura would drive from Kinston to Wilson and Grant would drive from Raleigh to Wilson.  This was about an hour’s drive for each of them, every Friday and Sunday evenings—with the ‘swap’ taking place no later than 5:00 pm, at the Sheetz Gas Station.)

He purchased American Spirit Brand Menthol cigarettes for himself and soft drinks for the boys.  He made several phone calls, including one to Laura and one to his mother.

5:47 in Wilson, NC | Grant and the boys left the Sheetz Gas Station.

7:30 pm in Raleigh, NC | Amanda called Sha and said that they were not going to move to Kinston on Saturday after all as Laura hadn’t arrived in Wilson at 5:00 pm to pick up the boys.  Towards the end of the call, Sha heard Grant and the boys returning to Grant and Amanda’s apartment.

July 16, 2011 – Saturday

In Raleigh, NC | Grant bought three bags of ice and multiple coolers.

10:59 am in Raleigh, NC | Grant entered the U-Haul store in Raleigh, NC.  He made a payment via charge card and left the store at 11:24 am.

3:06 pm in Raleigh, NC | Grant was again at the U-Haul store in Raleigh, NC.  He purchased:
1) 20 Cardboard boxes
2) Sofa Covers
3) Mount and Ball
4) Lock

Early Evening in Raleigh, NC | Amanda called Sha to say that she, Grant, the boys, and Lillian were all going to drive to Richmond, Texas to visit Amanda’s sister, Karen.  Amanda said that she had just lost her mother on June 7, 2011; given birth to her daughter on June 9, 2011; and needed her big sister.  (This is approximately a 1220 mile trip and would take approximately 18 hours to arrive.)

July 17, 2011 – Sunday

1:17 pm in Kinston, NC | Chevon sent Laura another email to explain that if she doesn’t hear from Laura by Monday, she will notify law enforcement.

In Montgomery, Alabama | Grant, Amanda, the boys, and Lillian spent the night in Montgomery, Alabama.  They were towing a U-Haul trailer.  Based on Google maps, they would have driven for approximately 8 hours at this point; and had 9 hours driving left before reaching Skinner Lane in Richmond, Texas.

July 18, 2011 – Monday

In Richmond, Texas | Shelton and Dalton, (Amanda’s sister’s sons), both recalled that Amanda and Grant had arrived at 4336 Skinner Lane by 5:30 am or 6:00 am.  Amanda and Grant’s Dodge Durango with the U-Haul attached, was parked in the driveway, close to the house.  The vehicle and the attached trailer would later be moved outback, near the hog pen.

Monday morning in Raleigh, NC | Sha received word that Amanda, Grant, the boys, and barely one month old Lillian, (born on June 9, 2011,) had arrived in Richmond, Texas for their visit with Karen, Amanda’s sister.  It would be the first time Grant met Karen and her family.

In Kinston, NC | Chevon called Patsy, Grant’s mother, and asked Patsy if Laura had picked up the kids for the weekend.  Patsy said Grant had called Friday evening and said that Laura had never shown up in Wilson.  Grant had asked her to check on Laura, but she had forgotten.

10:00 am in Kinston, NC | Chevon went to the Kinston police, and filed a missing person’s report on Laura.

From Kinston, NC | Heidi received a call from a former boss of Laura’s, Mike Rivera, and Chevon, alerting her that Laura was missing.

In Kinston, NC | Chevon went to the manager of the apartment where Laura lived, and together they entered Laura’s apartment.  Chevron retrieved three of Laura’s notebooks which she would give to law enforcement that afternoon.

1:30 pm in Kinston, NC | Detective James Gwartney from the Kinston police department met with Chevon at Chevon’s place of employment.  He had already tried to contact Grant and had left a message for Grant to call him.

While talking to Chevon, Grant returned his phone call.  He ended his interview with Chevon and walked toward the police station as he spoke to Grant.

A few points from the call follow:
1) Grant stated that he had called Laura around 3:00 pm that afternoon to discuss her picking up the boys for their mid-week visit.
2)  Grant stated that Laura arrived at his residence on Wednesday, July 13, 2011, at 6:40 pm.
2)  Grant stated that when Laura arrived, Amanda kept the boys in another room to give Grant and Laura a chance to discuss signing a custody agreement which would give Laura custody.
4)  Grant stated that she came back with the boys between 9:00 pm and 9:30 pm, and left his apartment around 10:00 pm.  He said the boys--after being with their mother--were sweaty and hungry, and Amanda had to take them to Chick-fil-A.
5)  Grant stated that he didn’t know what kind of car Laura was driving.
6)  As Grant spoke to the detective, Grant said he was simultaneously driving to Kinston, NC.  (He was actually in Richmond, Texas.)

In Kinston, NC | Detective Gwartney was informed by Laura’s bank that there had been no activity on Laura’s account since July 10, 2011.

4:26 pm in Kinston, NC | Detective Gwartney contacted the Raleigh police department to explain that the last known whereabouts of Laura were in Raleigh.

Evening in Richmond, Texas | Grant and Shelton, (Amanda sister’s son), sat on the tailgate of Shelton’s truck and had a few beers.  Grant questioned Shelton about the habits of alligators and hogs; and inquired into going shark fishing.

At some point in Richmond, Texas | Grant had told Dalton, (Amanda sister’s son), that he was worried about bringing the boys across state lines as their mother hadn’t picked them on Friday night, July 15, 2011.

July 19, 2011 – Tuesday

9:37 am in Katy, Texas | Amanda made a cash withdrawal at an ATM near the Home Depot in Katy, Texas.

10:20 am in Katy, Texas | Grant and Amanda went shopping at the Home Depot in Katy, Texas.  They bought:
1)  4 cartons of muriatic acid
2) Neoprene gloves
3) 32 gallon black plastic trash can.

In Kinston, NC | A well-being check was done on Laura’s apartment by law enforcement.  They seized Laura’s computer and a handwritten journal covering the period August 2010 to July 2011.  The last entry in the journal was July 12, 2011.  (Entries for the months of April and May, 2011, appeared to be missing,)

In Kinston, NC | A surveillance video was obtained of Laura leaving her apartment on the morning of July 13, 2011.

In Kinston, NC | Lolita Chapman with the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, assisted in going through Laura’s phone records.  (She officially finished her interviews on July 20, 2011, after the case had been handed over to Raleigh police department.)

In Raleigh, NC | Kinston detectives traveled to Raleigh.  Raleigh law enforcement issued a BOLO for Laura.

In Raleigh, NC | Heidi gave law enforcement the emails that Laura had given to her for safe keeping.  She had kept them in a secret account that had been necessary to preserve their accuracy in the very likely event of Grant hacking into Laura’s account.  (She met with law enforcement twice, once in Kinston and once in Raleigh, but was not sure of the exact dates.)

In Raleigh, NC | Chevon spoke with law enforcement in Raleigh.

In Raleigh, NC | Sha went to Grant and Amanda’s apartment in Raleigh, NC, as someone was coming over to look at the chesterfield and chair that Grant had listed on Craig’s List as being for sale.  This man turned out to be a friend of Grant’s and returned with the cash and other friends to help him move the furniture.

In Richmond, Texas | Karen’s oldest daughter, Kandice, stopped by her mother’s home in Richmond, Texas; where Grant and Amanda were visiting.

12:00 midnight in Raleigh, NC | Laura’s car was found around midnight, 400 yards from Grant and Amanda’s apartment in Raleigh, NC—parked in the parking lot of an apartment complex where Grant and Laura had once lived.

12:00 midnight in Richmond, Texas | Across the street from Amanda’s sister’s home, Grant and Laura readied Shelton and Dalton’s boat, preparing to dispose of Laura’s remains in Oyster creek.

July 20, 2011 – Wednesday

9:00 am in Richmond, Texas | Amanda dumped four cardboard boxes containing bottles of muriatic acid.  (She drove 1.6 miles from her sister’s home to the end of Skinner Lane, and used Shelton’s truck to get there.)  Each of the four cardboard boxes contained two, one gallon bottles of muriatic acid.  Three cartons were still sealed.  Only one of the boxes had been opened and it still contained one untouched gallon of muriatic acid—one gallon was missing.  The actual missing bottle and its contents were never recovered, although it is believed it was eventually dumped on the ground near the hog pen.

11:08 am in Katy, Texas | Amanda was at an ATM drive through banking machine at Waterside Marketplace, near the Intersection of Mason Road and Highway 99, in Katy, Texas, where she made another cash withdrawal.  She had the same black tank top on that she wore when she dumped the acid.  She was still driving Shelton’s truck.

In Raleigh, NC | Raleigh police detective Mark Quagliarello located and interviewed Sha.  Her soon to be husband called the home where Grant and Amanda were staying in Texas, and told them Sha had been picked-up by the police.

In Raleigh, NC | A search warrant was issued on Grant and Amanda’s apartment in Raleigh, NC.  The search revealed a three foot long bleached spot by the front door, as they walked in.  A bathroom used by the boys was totally stripped and spotlessly clean.  They also found a handwritten note appearing to contain the handwriting of two separate individuals.

The note read as follows:

Written in one hand:
"I, Laura J. Ackerson, for the sum of $25,000.00, agree not to pursue custody of the two minor children, Grant and Gentle Hayes.  I am not surrendering parental rights, but I do consent to leaving them in the sole custody of their father, for now.  Further, I agree to drop all pending litigation against their father in the Lenoir County Family Court."

Written in a separate hand:
"By notifying counsel, John Sergeant, of our arrangement less the monetary compensation, I understand that I will be able to see my kids whenever I want to, at the discretion of their father."

Originally Dated 6/13/11; then changed to 7/13/11 with the initials LA and a signature Laura Ackerson.

July 21, 2011 - Thursday

In Raleigh, NC | Law enforcement pinged Grant’s cell phone and discovered he was at the residence of Amanda’s sister, Karen, in Richmond, Texas.

In Raleigh, NC | Law enforcement learned that Grant and Amanda rented a U-Haul in Raleigh.

July 22, 2011 - Friday

In Raleigh, NC | A search warrant was issued on the persons of Grant and Amanda.

In Richmond, Texas | Grant washed out the coolers using the outdoor well located at 4336 Skinner Lane, Richmond, Texas.

2:57 pm in Katy, Texas | Grant returns the U-Haul in Katy, Texas

12:00 midnight in Raleigh, NC | Two members of law enforcement are dispatched to Richmond, Texas.  Traveling by vehicle and driving straight through—stopping on for a two hour break--the 1200 mile journey took nearly 24 hours to arrive.

July 23, 2011 - Saturday

12:00 midnight in Richmond, Texas | The North Carolina law enforcement officers arrived in Richmond, Texas.  They grabbed some food and a little sleep.

July 24, 2011– Sunday

Morning In Richmond, Texas | Amanda’s sister, Karen, received a visit from Raleigh law enforcement officers.  Her first interview with law enforcement was at her home and was audio recorded.

Her second interview was at the Sheriff’s department and that interview was both audio recorded and videotaped.

There was a third interview that took place at Karen’s attorney’s office—Mr. Dick Tate; but no date was confirmed for the interview.  That interview had been requested by Karen and her attorney.

During one of the three interviews—possibly the last one-- Karen told the detectives that Laura’s body was on her property. (See video for Day 4 pt 4, near beginning.)

The detective described Amanda’s sister as somber, worried, and concerned about her sons, Shelton and Dalton. They said she prayed.

Karen’s older daughter, Kandice, was also interviewed at Karen’s attorney’s office, at least once.

Karen’s sons, Shelton and Dalton, revealed during questioning that Grant and Amanda had taken the boat out.

12:45 pm in Richmond, Texas | Detective Brad Wichard of Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office was called to the scene.

In Richmond, Texas | Using a boat from the Richmond Fire Department, and later divers; law enforcement recovered Laura’s torso, in two parts; and a leg section.

In Richmond, Texas | In addition to other items, the following were seized from the home of Amanda’s sister, by Fort Bend County authorities:

1) A receipt left beside the computer
2) The computer
3) A machete
4) 2 towels
5) 2 coolers
6) A yellow strap
7) Boat

9:00 pm in Richmond, Texas | The detectives left for the evening.  Karen’s property had been declared a crime scene, and was kept secured until morning.  A log was kept of all who were coming and going.  Karen and her sons spent the night elsewhere.

July 25 – Monday

Around 1:00 am in Kinston, NC | Grant and Amanda were arrested in Kinston, NC, at the residence of Grant’s parents.

In Richmond, Texas | Law enforcement continued their processing and searching of the crime scene at 4336 Skinner Lane.

In Richmond, Texas | Sergeant Robert Latour attended Laura’s first autopsy in Galveston, Texas.  (Major body parts would have individual autopsies.)

2:30 to 3:00 in Oyster Creek, Richmond, Texas | A member of the Houston Police Department Dive Team discovered Laura’s head and one thigh bone.

In Richmond, Texas | Sergeant Robert Latour contacted the Pecan Grove apartments, north on Skinner Lane.  Their dumpsters are emptied every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning.

In Raleigh, NC | A search warrant was issued for little Grant’s and Gentle’s DNA, to help identify their mother’s remains.

July 26 - Tuesday

In Galveston, Texas | Sergeant Robert Latour again traveled to the Medical Examiner’s office in Galveston, Texas for the second autopsy on the body parts recovered by the Houston Dive Team.  (They had received Laura’s dental records from her dentist in Kinston.)

In Katy, Texas | Sergeant Robert Latour collected surveillance videos from both the U-Haul in Katy, Texas, and the Home Depot in Katy, Texas.

At 4336 Skinner Lane, Richmond, Texas | Samples were collected around and inside the hog pen of unusually dark soil—later the samples proved to be where muriatic acid was dumped.  Packaging from neoprene gloves was found in the hog pen.  Corroded barbed wire fencing rolled up near the hog pen was discovered, as well as a black plastic garbage pail.

At 4336 Skinner Lane, Richmond, Texas | Search of the waterway continued.

At 4336 Skinner Lane, Richmond, Texas | Law enforcement completed their search; turned the house over to Karen; and helped her erect no trespassing signs.

July 28 – Thursday

In Richmond, Texas | Sergeant Robert Latour conducted a telephone interview with Shelton.

July 29 – Friday

In Katy, Texas | Sergeant Robert Latour returned to Home Depot in Katy to see if employees could pick Grant out of a line-up of photos, and got the plastic rating for the trash can that had held the muriatic acid.  (Law enforcement purchased dry ice to preserve the trash can as evidence.)

In Fort Bend County, Texas | All evidence collected was turned over to Raleigh law enforcement.

July 30 – Saturday

5:45 am Fort Bend County, Texas | Sergeant Robert Latour of Raleigh met with Detective Brad Wichard from Fort Bend County, Texas to collect the U-Haul trailer used by Grant.  They had it transported back to Raleigh by placing it inside a larger U-Haul trailer (along with the other evidence,) and towed that trailer back.

July 31 – Sunday

1:45 am in Raleigh, NC | Law enforcement arrived back in Raleigh.

August 5 - Friday

In Raleigh, NC | Sergeant Robert Latour contacted Laura’s brother and father about having Laura’s remains returned.

August 9 – Tuesday

In Galveston, Texas | Dr. Paul Stimson identified one of Laura’s teeth as having acid etching.

In Raleigh, NC | Sergeant Robert Latour made the arrangements to have Laura’s remains flown back to North Carolina.  He would meet the airplane in Raleigh.

August 11 - Thursday

In Oyster Creek, Richmond, Texas | Another section of one of Laura’s legs was found by the Gulf Coast Water Authority in Oyster Creek, Richmond, Texas.

August 15 – Monday

9:00 am in Kinston, NC | The final hearing for the custody dispute between Laura and Grant was scheduled to occur.

August 16 – Tuesday

1:13 pm in Houston, Texas | Detective Brad Wichard watched as Laura’s final flight departed the gate at Bush Airport in Houston, Texas, en route to Raleigh, NC.  At 1:25 pm, she was airborne.

Laura was traveling in a Ziegler transfer case, also known as a metal coffin.

Last edited by Nan11 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:11 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated timeline.)
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Here I am back with an old video from July 26, 2011.  It contains clips of Laura's brother.  He tells a little about a time when Grant got very upset because little Grant was crying.

Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:40 am

Nan11, thanks for all of the updates!

I know the timeline you created was a lot of hard work.  Thanks so much for the informative timeline!  
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Current hours of the trial in Judge Stephens' court room

Post by Ann - Tx on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:46 am

The following is from a poster at Websleuths:

Schedule goes like this (all Eastern Daylight time):

9:30am Court start

Around 11am to 11:30am - morning break for 15 to 20 min

Around 1pm until 2:30pm - lunch

Around 3pm to 3:30pm - afternoon break for 15 to 20 min

Around 5pm - court adjourns for the day

Source:  

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9795498&postcount=610
Websleuths -  Post #610:   08-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Summertime on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:36 am

Thanks to Nan and Ann-Tx...I am pretty much up to speed on this trial, that I knew nothing about...7 days ago.  Am so ready for it to begin again today.duckies 06:35:51
Summertime

Mood : Vacation

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 am

Following are the live stream links for the trial today.  Very Happy 

WRAL
http://www.wral.com/news/video/12826677/#/vid12826677

ABC
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/livenow?id=9223333

WildAboutTrial
http://wildabouttrial.com/grant-hayes-live-stream.html

And:

A few of us may be in Chat
http://www.realitychatter.com/h10-chat

Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Jury won't hear some evidence in Hayes trial

Updated at 12:18 PM today

Grant Hayes (WTVD Photo)

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- The judge in the trial of Grant Hayes ruled Tuesday that Laura Ackerson's brother cannot testify she was afraid to leave Hayes in 2009 because she said he had threatened her.

~Snipped~

Ackerson's brother Jason testified outside the presence of the jury Tuesday after Hayes' defense objected to what he was about to say. Jason Ackerson said he and his sister had discussed her leaving Grant in 2009 and her coming to live with him. Jason said his sister told him Grant had threatened to harm her and anyone who helped her if she left, and he ultimately decided it would not be safe for his own family if Laura came to stay with him.

Judge Donald Stephenson ruled that because Jason didn't hear the threat personally, he couldn't testify about it in front of the jury.

The trial picked up Tuesday after the long holiday weekend. A close friend of Laura testified Friday that Grant Hayes left her with a bloody nose and black eye during a fight when she was pregnant with his first child.

Heidi Schumacher told jurors she was on the phone with Ackerson in 2008 and could hear Hayes yelling at Ackerson. She said when she rushed over to check on her friend, Hayes was driving off and Ackerson had obvious injuries. Schumacher said Ackerson told her Hayes hit her, but she didn't plan to press charges.

Read more:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=9234465
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Laura Ackerson's brother: Grant Hayes threatened to kill her

Posted: 58 minutes ago
Updated: 50 minutes ago

~Snipped~

It was sometime around July 2009, Jason Ackerson said, when his sister, Laura Ackerson, came to him looking for a place to stay. The pair ultimately decided it would be best for her and her 1-year-old son to live elsewhere after the boyfriend, Grant Ruffin Hayes, reportedly threatened her.

"She said the defendant had stated that, 'If you go stay with your brother, I will hunt you down or my goon squad will hunt you down and kill you,'" Jason Ackerson testified.

Jurors, however, weren't allowed to hear that testimony.

Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens said that the timing of the statement was too far removed from Ackerson's 2011 death.

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/best-friend-speaks-of-threats-violence-in-ackerson-relationship/12847183/
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 3 pt 1)

Sept. 3, 2013, testimony of Tracy Tremmett, an agent with the Raleigh/Wake City-County Bureau of Identification.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 3 pt 2)

Sept. 3, 2013, testimony of Lauren Harris.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 3 pt 3)

Sept. 3, 2013, testimony of Laura Ackerson's brother, Jason Ackerson.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 3 pt 4)

Sept. 3, 2013, testimony fo Matt Guddat.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 3 pt 5)

Sept. 3, 2013, testimony of Raleigh police detective Mark Quagliarello.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12847252/#/vid12847252

Last edited by Alessandra_Deux on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:32 pm

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 3 pt 6)

Sept. 3, 2013, testimony of Raleigh police detective Amanda Salmon.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 3 pt 7)

Sept. 3, 2013, testimony of Raleigh police detective Keith Heckman.

Grant Hayes trial testimony (Day 3 pt 8)

Sept. 3, 2013, testimony of Raleigh police detective Sgt. Robert Latour Jr.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/12847981/#/vid12847981

Last edited by Alessandra_Deux on Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousPortlander on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Nan, I just went back and read your timeline in detail - AWESOME JOB! Thank you!

And thanks, Alessandra, for the trial videos!
CuriousPortlander
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ishi on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Thank you so much for the timeline, Nan. It is wonderful!
ishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:56 pm

ishi wrote:Thank you so much for the timeline, Nan. It is wonderful!
I totally agree.

While I was watching the trial today, I read Nan's timeline of the events surrounding Laura's murder, it really helped me to put a lot of things into perspective and to better understand the witnesses' testimonies. I have been following the trial on and off, and I have been reading here the daily updates that have been posted by Ann - Tx and Nan 11. Thank you, both!

Nan you rock! Great work!
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Here is a video from Friday--I'm just seeing it now, and apologize if it has been linked before.

It contains a picture of Grant and Amanda's wedding.

Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Here are a few tweets from Mr. Wolfe:

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports6h
Ever watched a math nerd going through "showing the work" on a complex problem? That's what #hayestrial was this morning.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports6h
I believe we had 30 min of testimony about two red dots on a couch believed to be blood that weren't blood.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports4h
Also, back here at #hayestrial, we're going through law enforcement policy and procedure relating to mobile phone tracking.

RPD detective says Laura Ackerson's last call was 4:59 p.m. on 7/13/11 to Grant Hayes -- call lasted about 2 min.

Oh, wow. For AT&T phones, the handset gives AT&T your GPS location every 15 minutes. Hayes had an AT&T account.

AT&T pegged Hayes' phone in Texas w/in 233 feet of acual location on 7/20/11, essentially putting him in his SIL's backyard.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports3h
FYI -- Laura Ackerson had a T-Mobile account, and that rendered more of a triangulation between towers. Not as precise.

Wes Wolfe‏@WolfeReports2h
They're talking about I-10 going through SW Louisiana. Doesn't sound like many in court have spent much time in Cajun country.

Judge Stephens and the attorneys appeared to conference to make sure future witness testimony goes smoothly

Stopping for today. Leading off Wednesday with images of a machete, coolers and what-all from Amanda Hayes' sister's place.

https://twitter.com/WolfeReports
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Here is the floor plan of Grant and Amanda's last apartment.  The one in the spoiler is bigger, but it is a bit blurry.

Spoiler:
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Whoa! I just clicked on the spoiler and got a windfall!
Thanks, Nan!guitar 

(Who goes to Walmart early in the AM to buy these items?
I could see a gal of milk and a loaf of bread, some aspirin, a box of diapers but THESE items?)

Spoiler:
July 14, 2011 – Thursday

2:40 am | Grant entered a nearby Walmart and purchased:
1) A plastic tarp – 9 X 12 feet
2) Goggles
3) Firm grip stripping, refinishing, and cleaning gloves
4) Skill reciprocating saw with 6 inch blades
5) Other sized blades

Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by ishi on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Freckles wrote:Whoa!  I just clicked on the spoiler and got a windfall!
Thanks, Nan!guitar 

(Who goes to Walmart early in the AM to buy these items?
I could see a gal of milk and a loaf of bread, some aspirin, a box of diapers but THESE items?)

Spoiler:
   July 14, 2011 – Thursday

2:40 am | Grant entered a nearby Walmart and purchased:
   1)  A plastic tarp – 9 X 12 feet
   2)  Goggles
   3)  Firm grip stripping, refinishing, and cleaning gloves
   4)  Skill reciprocating saw with 6 inch blades
   5)  Other sized blades

Only a murderer intent on cutting up his victim's body. And a cocky murderer that thinks he's so smart he doesn't get that Walmart's have cameras and can also track your purchase. Now if the mother of his children wasn't missing and he had a history of insomnia and a home improvement project going on he might have escaped notice. Thank goodness he is an idiot.
ishi

Back to top Go down

Post by ishi on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 pm

Nan11 wrote:Here is the floor plan of Grant and Amanda's last apartment.  The one in the spoiler is bigger, but it is a bit blurry.

Spoiler:
Awesome work Nan! Glad you got it!! It's nice to be able to picture the layout now. I second the.... guitar 
ishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Nan11 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:56 pm

Here are three Google maps.  If you click on the "View Larger Map" link, you can go right in with a walking tour and get a look at the area.

This map represents the drive both Grant and Laura made every Friday and Sunday evenings to exchange the boys.

A = Grant and Amanda's residence:  Bella Park Trail, off Doie Cope Road, Raleigh, NC
B = The gas station:  Sheetz Gas Station, 2835 Forest Hills Road, sw, Wilson, NC
C = Laura’s Residence:  619 N Heritage St., Nantucket Lofts, Kinston, NC

View Larger Map

This map shows the distances from where Laura's last call originated on July 13, 2011, at 4:59 pm; to Grant and Amanda's apartment; to where her vehicle was found.

A = Crabtree Valley Mall which was the location of Laura’s last cell phone ping
B = Grant and Amanda’s residence
C = Where Laura’s vehicle was found:  Camden Crest Apartments complex, at 5400 Summit Manor Lane, near the intersection of Glenwood Avenue and Lynn Road—about 400 yards from Grant and Amanda’s apartment, and in the parking lot of a building where Grant and Laura once lived.

View Larger Map

This map is Laura's final journey with Grant and Amanda.  Law enforcement would bring what they could find of Laura home.

A = Grant and Amanda’s apartment Raleigh, NC
B = Amanda’s sister’s residence on Skinner Lane, in Richmond, Texas.

View Larger Map
Nan11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top