George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Puzzler on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Stolat wrote:
Puzzler wrote:

That's the way I took it to begin with, "but" after reading it again, I'm now wondering if there isn't something to it...otherwise, why put it in?

Again, maybe CN is better for this -- but perhaps it's relevant because it establishes timing, and perhaps had GZ done this *after* his bonded release it would qualify him for immediate revocation (?) dunno, just a guess.

After I read that comment a few times, it got me to wondering why the Judge would "qualify" his statement. I just think there's "more" to the Judge's comment...he said it for a "reason".
avatar
Puzzler

Posts : 1022
Join date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:05 pm

Puzzler wrote:--judgeL :"There is probable cause to believe that the Defendant committed a violation of Fla.Stat 903.035(l) a third degree felony but that crime was not committed while the Defendant was on pre-trial release."

Can someone knowledgeable comment on what the portion highlighted in blue above means? TIA

--on page 4 of his Order, he's talking about crimes, citing case law committed while out on pre-trial release...notes that Fla Stat 907.047 doesn't apply to george b/c he didn't commit a new crime while ON pre-trial release----THEN, he adds the foot note (4) to that page, that you have posted---saying ---but, i did happen to notice that he did commit a violation of 903.035 (lying on the bond app.)while in jail.

( he's not saying, but this doesn't count....he's saying----bernieDL, why haven't you charged this guy yet??? )

http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Releases/SKMBT_363-V12070607100.pdf
--bond2 Order.


Last edited by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by snowbird on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:07 pm

If they ask this judge to step down does he have to step down or can he say no.
avatar
snowbird

Posts : 782
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : louisiana
Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by MollyK on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:19 pm

I can't imagine that he would step down just because GZ asked him to, even if he said, "Pretty please!" I hope that he continues, because he really has GZ's number.

MollyK

Posts : 63
Join date : 2012-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:28 pm

snowbird wrote:If they ask this judge to step down does he have to step down or can he say no.

--they have to have an actual reason to even make the request in the 1st place.

--and what is their's? he's shown 'bias' b/c he called george a liar ?? said he looked like he was ready to make a run for it ?? in his Order....( ummm, but that's the truth...--problem is the defense team doesn't understand what 'truth' is .)------(bunch of cry-baby beggars..)
avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by WeeBonnie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:34 pm

I think MoM is just playin up a phony "tough guy" stance for the benefit of his stupider donors since they have deemed him a wimp. He's going to pretend he can get judges recused as many times as they'd like in order to shut them up about how GZ should dump his law firm.
MoM has listened to the criticisms and this is his response- a faux tough guy pose. Immediaty after his faux broke guy bit .



ellejay wrote:
snowbird wrote:If they ask this judge to step down does he have to step down or can he say no.

--they have to have an actual reason to even make the request in the 1st place.

--and what is their's? he's shown 'bias' b/c he called george a liar ?? said he looked like he was ready to make a run for it ?? in his Order....( ummm, but that's the truth...--problem is the defense team doesn't understand what 'truth' is .)

WeeBonnie

Posts : 675
Join date : 2012-05-24

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Marica on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 pm

I hope the judge keeps his head down and only
looks at what is on paper before him and in the
legal codes of Florida and what ever other laws
might apply. I hope he will be able to remain
impartial by not showing any emotion so that
no one can claim he is in any way prejudiced.
A Joe Friday kind of guy who will stick with

"JUST THE FACTS"
avatar
Marica

Posts : 565
Join date : 2012-05-14
Age : 70
Location : Iowa
Mood : Bang Head

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:38 pm

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/7/6/george_zimmerman_rel.html
George Zimmerman released from jail

--snipped--

On his website, Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara said a security team has established a safe house for him "until a more permanent secure location can be established." Zimmerman has to stay in Seminole County, and his safety is a major concern for the legal team.

"We've taken lots of steps to ensure that," said Don West, a member of the defense team. "I think he's safe now, He's going to a location we are confident is safe. At the same time, there continue to be threats. So we are certainly concerned about it, but we have taken steps to ensure that."

West said they may ask the court to extend the boundary and allow Zimmerman to go beyond Seminole County.
~~~~~~~

"It makes it a whole lot easier to meet with him and talk with him, to review discovery with him," said Don West. "The jail has been very accomodating they've done everything they can. But being able to go places with him, having him come to see us, is enormous."

( ummm aren't you just giving it away if you tell us he's perhaps (the lady in the blonde wig!) that is coming to see you? )

( if it's so "enormous" that he's so handy to meet w/ ---aren't you contradicting yourself when you say you'd like the judge to allow him to live further away??? you're seriously confusing me mr. west...)
avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ecossie possie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Stolat wrote:
Puzzler wrote:

That's the way I took it to begin with, "but" after reading it again, I'm now wondering if there isn't something to it...otherwise, why put it in?

Again, maybe CN is better for this -- but perhaps it's relevant because it establishes timing, and perhaps had GZ done this *after* his bonded release it would qualify him for immediate revocation (?) dunno, just a guess.
It means he cospired to commit perjury whilst in jail via phone an not whilst on bond...Eitherway its shows what he thinks of the justice system.
avatar
ecossie possie

Posts : 114
Join date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ecossie possie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:44 pm

snowbird wrote:If they ask this judge to step down does he have to step down or can he say no.
Yes he can refuse an force them to show cause an then I dont know who decides...
avatar
ecossie possie

Posts : 114
Join date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:57 pm

WeeBonnie wrote:I think MoM is just playin up a phony "tough guy" stance for the benefit of his stupider donors since they have deemed him a wimp. He's going to pretend he can get judges recused as many times as they'd like in order to shut them up about how GZ should dump his law firm.
MoM has listened to the criticisms and this is his response- a faux tough guy pose. Immediaty after his faux broke guy bit .

--agree completely.

avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:09 pm

...well, it's a gorgeous summer day out there-------i think i'll head on out to a nice margarita bar, enjoy one or 2.....anyone up for joining me??

...not so fast george!!!!! it's 6:08 !!!!! sorry, you're not allowed to come...or have a drink....
avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ecossie possie on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:25 pm

I know like in the UK donations are classed as gifts an non taxable as the donee or gift giver could ask for its return so its not classed as income...However does the status change when its used for bond or pay legal fees an safe house fees body gaurd fees.This money can no longer be classsed as being returnable as its been spent?
avatar
ecossie possie

Posts : 114
Join date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by CherokeeNative on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Puzzler wrote:
Stolat wrote:

Again, maybe CN is better for this -- but perhaps it's relevant because it establishes timing, and perhaps had GZ done this *after* his bonded release it would qualify him for immediate revocation (?) dunno, just a guess.

After I read that comment a few times, it got me to wondering why the Judge would "qualify" his statement. I just think there's "more" to the Judge's comment...he said it for a "reason".

Oops...made a boner...be back when I correct it. Also, I keep getting thrown off line...trouble with router. BRB

Okay, here it is again. Sorry.

Great question Puzzler, and you have forced me to do what I was attempting to avoid - some research. LOL What I believe that Judge L is point out is that Section 907.0471 applies to crimes committed while on pretrial release and at the time that GZ sat like a potted plant while his wife and family members deceived the Court as to their financial status, GZ was in jail, not on pretrial release on bond or bail. So, whether he is guilty of violating 907.0471, is questionable. In his footnote, Judge L. refers to Florida Statute 903.035, which provides:

903.035 Applications for bail; information provided; hearing on application for modification; penalty for providing false or misleading information or omitting material information.—
(1)(a) All information provided by a defendant, in connection with any application for or attempt to secure bail, to any court, court personnel, or individual soliciting or recording such information for the purpose of evaluating eligibility for, or securing, bail for the defendant, under circumstances such that the defendant knew or should have known that the information was to be used in connection with an application for bail, shall be accurate, truthful, and complete without omissions to the best knowledge of the defendant.
(b) The failure to comply with the provisions of paragraph (a) may result in the revocation or modification of bail.
(2) An application for modification of bail on any felony charge must be heard by a court in person, at a hearing with the defendant present, and with at least 3 hours’ notice to the state attorney.
(3) Any person who intentionally provides false or misleading material information or intentionally omits material information in connection with an application for bail or for modification of bail is guilty of a misdemeanor or felony which is one degree less than that of the crime charged for which bail is sought, but which in no event is greater than a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

His wife, Shellie, was arrested for violation of 837.02(1) which states:

837.02 Perjury in official proceedings.—

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), whoever makes a false statement, which he or she does not believe to be true, under oath in an official proceeding in regard to any material matter, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(2) Whoever makes a false statement, which he or she does not believe to be true, under oath in an official proceeding that relates to the prosecution of a capital felony, commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) Knowledge of the materiality of the statement is not an element of the crime of perjury under subsection (1) or subsection (2), and the defendant's mistaken belief that the statement was not material is not a defense.

GZ cannot be prosecuted under 837.02(1) because he did not make a false statement under oath. Under the pretrial release statute of 3.131, it states:

(5) All information provided by a defendant in connection with any application for or attempt to secure bail, to any court, court personnel, or individual soliciting or recording such information for the purpose of evaluating eligibility for or securing bail for the defendant, under circumstances such that the defendant knew or should have known that the information was to be used in connection with an application for bail, shall be accurate, truthful, and complete, without omissions, to the best knowledge of the defendant. Failure to comply with the provisions of this subdivision may result in the revocation or modification of bail. However, no defendant shall be compelled to provide information regarding his or her criminal record.

Now, according to Judge L's Order, he acknowledges that there is no case authority or statute directly on point. The Judge does quote from State v. Paul, 783 So.2d 1042(2001), and I quote from that, in pertinent part as follows:

"Finally, if the concern was that a defendant's conduct evinced disregard of the court's authority, a defendant's conduct for violation of the court's order could be addressed as an indirect or direct criminal contempt of court as long as the protections afforded a defendant for criminal contempt are followed."

Judge L. then states that "This Court has, thus far, declined to exercise its contempt powers and the State failed to prove that the Defendant may be held without bond. Further action by this Court, therefore, is limited to his already-effected arrest, the subsequent release on new bond conditions and the possibility of future contempt proceedings."

I am having problems staying on line. I am getting thrown off every couple minutes so this will most likely be my last post until Comcast comes tomorrow between 2 and 4 pst. LOL


Last edited by CherokeeNative on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
CherokeeNative

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-05-12
Location : PNW
Mood : Feeling beat up

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:50 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gDYBGK8gekc

Zimmerman's Legion of Lies

Published on Jul 6, 2012 by LLMPapa

avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Chickenbutt on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Ellejay, from CN to you.....

Do me a favor and tell Ellejay that I am sorry to repeat what she posted...I saw it after I did mine and in fact, she is what made me realize that I had made a boner in my comment and had to repost it. But in any event, we came to the same conclusion...just sorry that I went and redid what she had already done in a much shorter post....but I would be damn if I wasn't going to post it after I went to all of the trouble of preparing it...in between getting thrown off the internet every two minutes.
avatar
Chickenbutt

Posts : 1509
Join date : 2012-05-11

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by CherokeeNative on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:17 pm

ecossie possie wrote:
snowbird wrote:If they ask this judge to step down does he have to step down or can he say no.
Yes he can refuse an force them to show cause an then I dont know who decides...

Ellejay can confirm whether my memory is working correctly or not - but if it is, MOM already used his one "no cause" right to recuse a Judge in this case - the woman Judge who had a relative of somebody, or something. After you use your one "no cause" right, you must file a motion and show good cause for requesting the Judge recuse himself. I don't believe that because a Judge has ruled against you for deceiving the court is "good cause" but that would be up to the Judge.

Amazingly, I am staying online for more than a minute....
avatar
CherokeeNative

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-05-12
Location : PNW
Mood : Feeling beat up

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by CherokeeNative on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:19 pm

ellejay wrote:
Puzzler wrote:--judgeL :"There is probable cause to believe that the Defendant committed a violation of Fla.Stat 903.035(l) a third degree felony but that crime was not committed while the Defendant was on pre-trial release."

Can someone knowledgeable comment on what the portion highlighted in blue above means? TIA

--on page 4 of his Order, he's talking about crimes, citing case law committed while out on pre-trial release...notes that Fla Stat 907.047 doesn't apply to george b/c he didn't commit a new crime while ON pre-trial release----THEN, he adds the foot note (4) to that page, that you have posted---saying ---but, i did happen to notice that he did commit a violation of 903.035 (lying on the bond app.)while in jail.

( he's not saying, but this doesn't count....he's saying----bernieDL, why haven't you charged this guy yet??? )

http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_Releases/SKMBT_363-V12070607100.pdf
--bond2 Order.

Ellejay - I didn't see your post because I was busy writing my post and getting thrown off line every two minutes. But I wish I had seen it before I did mine - but since I didn't - I was sure as heck not going to toss it out. LOL But basically, you said it a whole lot simplier than I did. Cool You rock!!!
avatar
CherokeeNative

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-05-12
Location : PNW
Mood : Feeling beat up

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:29 pm

avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:34 pm

CherokeeNative wrote:

Ellejay - I didn't see your post because I was busy writing my post and getting thrown off line every two minutes. But I wish I had seen it before I did mine - but since I didn't - I was sure as heck not going to toss it out. LOL But basically, you said it a whole lot simplier than I did. Cool You rock!!!

--Cher----i'm glad that you wrote your post on the same thing too!

--i know what i'm trying to say ( but yikes! i have no idea if it's "followable"----yes, we are allowed to make up words!)

--you-----write it up in ENGLISH w/ details.

--between the 2 of us posting ( on a ?????? subject) it's a good thing!
avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by CherokeeNative on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Wooowhoooo, I am still on line..go figure.

Has anyone seen this?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/sharpton-trayvon-martin-shown-little-205809656.html
avatar
CherokeeNative

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-05-12
Location : PNW
Mood : Feeling beat up

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by KZ on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:48 pm

CherokeeNative wrote:
ecossie possie wrote: Yes he can refuse an force them to show cause an then I dont know who decides...

Ellejay can confirm whether my memory is working correctly or not - but if it is, MOM already used his one "no cause" right to recuse a Judge in this case - the woman Judge who had a relative of somebody, or something. After you use your one "no cause" right, you must file a motion and show good cause for requesting the Judge recuse himself. I don't believe that because a Judge has ruled against you for deceiving the court is "good cause" but that would be up to the Judge.

Amazingly, I am staying online for more than a minute....

Yes --the first Judge, Jessica Recksidler, recused due to potential conflict of interest. Judge Lester is third "up to bat" for the case-- see below. I think MOM could still ask the JL to step aside if there is something compelling (cause).

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-18/news/os-george-zimmerman-judge-steps-aside-20120418_1_special-prosecutor-angela-corey-murder-case-new-judge

It was originally given to Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler, but she recused herself Wednesday after Zimmerman's attorney asked her to step aside because of a possible conflict of interest: Her husband is the law partner of Mark NeJame, who's been hired to comment on the case for CNN.

All criminal cases in Seminole County are assigned by chance, based on a rotation system. Next up in that rotation was Circuit Judge John Galluzzo. He, though, could not accept the case because he formerly practiced law with Zimmerman's attorney, Mark O'Mara.


Last edited by KZ on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I made a mistake and didn't read closely enough!)
avatar
KZ
Moderator

Posts : 672
Join date : 2011-05-11
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by snowbird on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:50 pm

ecossie possie wrote:
snowbird wrote:If they ask this judge to step down does he have to step down or can he say no.
Yes he can refuse an force them to show cause an then I dont know who decides...
Thanks I hope it not as easy to dismiss this judge like in the other case. Every time someone doesn't like an order then they just ask to have a judge dismissed. I believed this may have been on of the reasons he took so long and had everything in writing to back up his bond ruling. I hope this judge can keep a handle on the case.
avatar
snowbird

Posts : 782
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : louisiana
Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by angela_nw on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm

How can they claim big security concerns when MOM's co-counsel West comes right out and says they plan to spend time meeting with Zimmerman, here there and everywhere? That's the daftest thing I ever heard! If the threatening "mob" out there just waiting to get their hands on GZ didn't know how to find him before, they do now!
avatar
angela_nw

Posts : 93
Join date : 2012-05-11

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by KZ on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:04 pm

I dunno-- I think there is a pretty good chance MOM will ask JL to step aside. 2 reasons-- the comment about "the state's case is strong" or however it was worded, and several of the comments in the new bond motion. MOM could make a case that the judge has pre-judged the case. Particularly if MOM wants to have a SYG hearing-- he has about zero chance of JL deciding in GZ's favor now.

If a new Judge ends up with the case at some point, I think it will be just fine. All the judges are "good"-- they just have different styles. I don't see any doom or gloom if another Judge is on the case. It may be better for GZ. it may be worse. It's a roll of the dice either way. Remember all of the doom and gloom when Judge Strickland stepped down in the Casey Anthony case? That case was not lost because of the Judge-- but because of the JURY composition, and sequestering (imo), as well as the overcharging of the DP.

This case will have very little to do with the evidence, imo. It will be up to how the State and Defense persuade the jury, and the composition of the jury. This is definitely a case that will be won or lost in jury selection, imo.

And besides, lol-- Marinade Dave is IN THE GALLERY ON VIDEO at the GZ bond hearing! LMAO! What could possibly go wrong, lol?! Maybe Judge Lester is an old friend of his! Suspect

avatar
KZ
Moderator

Posts : 672
Join date : 2011-05-11
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by CherokeeNative on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 pm

On April 28, 2012, MOM launched the gzlegalcase.com which stated:

Quote:
Why Social Media for George Zimmerman?

We understand that it is unusual for a legal defense to maintain a social media presence on behalf of a defendant, but we also acknowledge that this is a very unusual case. Here are our justifications for our online efforts, and some guidelines we have put in place to help you understand what you can expect. We do understand and acknowledge the criticism that this is an opportunistic move using the event of a tragedy for personal or firm gain. Rest assured, that if the controversy surrounding this matter subsided tomorrow, so would our efforts to address the perceived problems the way we feel is necessary.

First, we contend that social media in this day and age cannot be ignored. It is now a critical part of presidential politics, it has been part of revolutions in the Middle East, and it is going to be an unavoidable part of high-profile legal cases, just as traditional media has been and continues to be. We feel it would be irresponsible to ignore the robust online conversation, and we feel equally as strong about establishing a professional, responsible, and ethical approach to new media.


http://www.gzlegalcase.com/

MOM's site is trying to taint the jury pool. IMO he's trying to ensure that GZ cannot get a fair trial. For him to be disseminating "information" and correcting information is to manipulate this medium and the media at large. He's making things worse and guaranteed, he will polarize the public even further. It's beyond unethical, IMO. Rather than defend his client, he's proclaimed an all-out war on truth and justice. This is bigger than GZ now and I think GZ is now merely a pawn. MOM is now greedy for money, and his ego seems to be monumental. During the hearings, O’Mara is looking way beyond the courtroom, knowing the cameras are broadcasting every moment live, and thinking this is his shot to play out the case for the press, for the public, for potential jurors.

Meanwhile, the prosecution can't say a word.

In addition, MOM has established a Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeZimmermanLegalCase

The official page on Facebook for information about the George Zimmerman Legal Case, administered by the Mark O'Mara Law Group.

There's a line between pragmatism and ethics and the concepts are not interchangeable.

"Researching the jury pool"? How about influencing the jury pool!

FB is immediately interactive unlike TV. Most people are too lazy to do snail mail, even email, if they can voice their opinions in real time.

As for asking potential jurors during voir dire regarding the case and their use of social media, that is the point I'm making- an exclusive FB site from the defense encourages people to interact, thereby reducing the jury pool.

And finally, no it's not against the law to research the jury pool. But it may contravene judicial ethics if the site is used to manipulate and taint the jury pool.

On FB, MOM posted the following inquiry:

"We would like to know what other forums regarding this case you are contributing to. Please provide links."

--How does that fall under the category of case discussion/case information?

MOM also posed the following question to more than 2,000 people who have "liked" their FB page:

"For those of you who have shown support for George Zimmerman, could you tell us briefly, why?"

Several users pointed to the bloody picture, and Tyler Maher wrote: "And I support his right to stand his ground and carry a firearm."

"The defense can take all of that data and come up with a strong defense, what's strongest for the defense and develop a strong juror profile," said Sheaffer.

The Facebook post was removed, but not before more than 100 people chimed in.

They are trying to gauge the public perception of GZ so that they can attempt to tweak his image and his story/excuses.

In a posting to his website after the new bond was announced, Zimmerman attorney Mark O’Mara sought more donations from people who also would have shot and killed Trayvon Martin:

"For those who have given in the past, for those who have thought about giving, for those who feel Mr. Zimmerman was justified in his actions, for those who feel they would do the same if they were in Mr. Zimmerman's shoes, for those that think Mr. Zimmerman has been treated unfairly by the media, for those who feel Mr. Zimmerman has been falsely accused as a racist, for those who feel this case is an affront to their constitutional rights -- now is the time to show your support."

MOM has crossed the line in every sense of the word of ethical and entered the realm of overly antagonistic territory. If this is not an overt call to racists, what is it? For all those who---would do the same, indeed. If they can't run right out and shoot the first teenager walking while black they can do the next best thing: Donate money to their hero. The above statement is completely devoid of ethics.

The Florida Bar Association needs to put a stop to MOM's unethical web presence.
avatar
CherokeeNative

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-05-12
Location : PNW
Mood : Feeling beat up

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Marica on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:28 pm

How the HELL, does a highly respected, experienced
attorney become such an overnight sleazy scum bag
lawyer?
avatar
Marica

Posts : 565
Join date : 2012-05-14
Age : 70
Location : Iowa
Mood : Bang Head

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Porky on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:34 pm

ellejay wrote:http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2012/7/6/george_zimmerman_rel.html
George Zimmerman released from jail

--snipped--

On his website, Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara said a security team has established a safe house for him "until a more permanent secure location can be established." Zimmerman has to stay in Seminole County, and his safety is a major concern for the legal team.

"We've taken lots of steps to ensure that," said Don West, a member of the defense team. "I think he's safe now, He's going to a location we are confident is safe. At the same time, there continue to be threats. So we are certainly concerned about it, but we have taken steps to ensure that."

West said they may ask the court to extend the boundary and allow Zimmerman to go beyond Seminole County.
~~~~~~~

"It makes it a whole lot easier to meet with him and talk with him, to review discovery with him," said Don West. "The jail has been very accomodating they've done everything they can. But being able to go places with him, having him come to see us, is enormous."

( ummm aren't you just giving it away if you tell us he's perhaps (the lady in the blonde wig!) that is coming to see you? )

( if it's so "enormous" that he's so handy to meet w/ ---aren't you contradicting yourself when you say you'd like the judge to allow him to live further away??? you're seriously confusing me mr. west...)

I think that we can now safely say that the ONLY person who wants to kick his ass is his wife

Porky

Posts : 270
Join date : 2012-05-18

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by snowbird on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:35 pm

If you have a client that lies before a judge in a court of law and that judge comes down on your client that should not give you a right to dismiss a judge. I thought he did well in explaining the case was strong statement and what he had based that statement on.
I am not sure that the change of judge did not have an effect in Casey Anthony case. One thing the was big waste of money doing the Texas search group that judge strickland had denied, so they had a do over. Maybe it did not made no difference in trail but it sure was a waste of money. I really don't know if Judge Strickland would have been strict on Baez but Judge Perry let him slide in a lot of way. IMO
If O'Mara feels like he won't get a fair hearing from this Judge whose fault is it the judge or his clients lies. I don't think you should get do overs when your own client is the one that screwed up big time. He could have also begged for mercy on the court for Georges error instead of putting on a mini trail. I believe that would have been in favor of George getting a different bond. O'Mare could have also called George's sister she know what was going on with the accounts but he choose not to and IMO that was because he was trying to hide the money and pass port from the court. I do believe if he did not have to ware the ankle monitor he would have left in stead of facing the charges.
avatar
snowbird

Posts : 782
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : louisiana
Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by CherokeeNative on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:49 pm

Marica wrote:How the HELL, does a highly respected, experienced
attorney become such an overnight sleazy scum bag
lawyer?

GREED
avatar
CherokeeNative

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-05-12
Location : PNW
Mood : Feeling beat up

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by KZ on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Cher, I hear your outrage at MOM's internet presence. But I'm kind of baffled why I don't share your (and others) outrage over the web presence of the defense. We certainly knew that Dot Simms was monitoring a bunch of sites in real time in court in the Anthony case, as well as during the run up to the case. They tried the "frenetic writing Casey", the "sisterwife Casey" etc to see which persona was received the "best" by avid trial followers. They have bragged about using blog discussion groups as part of their strategy, now that the case is over.

How is this any different? I don't see how it's unethical-- it would be unethical if MOM was (for example) posting evidence that had not been released to the public, like autopsy pictures. Or if he was mass "spam" emailing to all of the email addresses in FL or something of that nature. The $220K GZ/ MOM has raised is thru WILLING donations (from stupid people, imo), but is MUCH, MUCH MORE ethical than Jose Baez selling bloody pics of the victim to ABC for $200K in that case. THAT was unethical, imo-- and he got away with it because she had not yet been charged in Caylee's murder.

But how is simply asking for $$ donations and asking what websites people are looking at unethical? No one has to respond. No one has to donate anything. No one even has to read there. Frankly, I think his GZLegalCase site says very little at all that anyone who is following the case doesn't already know.

Who cares if he has an internet presence? I just don't see the ethical problem here. It's simply a new medium. Defense attys have been "playing" the media with interviews and statements as long as there have been defense attys. And prosecutors have always been more "gagged" about the cases than the defense. Prosecutors take the high road and keep their case close to the vest; defense attys spew all kinds of theories and statements to anyone who will listen. I don't see MOM's sites persuading anyone who wasn't already "pro-GZ." Does anyone really think some hapless potential juror might land on that site and "change their mind" about the case?? Even the undecided wouldn't be persuaded, imo. The site just doesn't have much on it. Not even any blinky blinky flashy flashy "Not Guilty" "GZ is Innocent" banners or crawlers or anything! It's pretty boring, imo.

Let him have his internet presence. It won't make any difference in whatever outcome we end up with, imo. And if he can raise $$ from donors, then FL taxpayers aren't paying for it, and for that, I'm glad. It's no different than a wealthy celebrity defendant funding a dream team, imo. It's his $$-- let him spend it down any way he wants. MOM won't be getting any JAC funds for his fees if GZ becomes indigent. The money and the internet presence just don't bother me at all.

IMO, any crook can hold out their hand for donations for their defense, as far as I'm concerned. No one has to donate. Now, once convicted, the convicted should not be able to receive a single penny for anything related to their crime. That's where I draw the line.

I also think jurors should be barred from receiving any compensation from books, interviews, etc. for the case they were jurors. But that's a whole OTHER discussion.
avatar
KZ
Moderator

Posts : 672
Join date : 2011-05-11
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Marica on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:01 pm

CherokeeNative wrote:
Marica wrote:How the HELL, does a highly respected, experienced
attorney become such an overnight sleazy scum bag
lawyer?
GREED

Thnx Cher...
GREED = The Smell of Money
avatar
Marica

Posts : 565
Join date : 2012-05-14
Age : 70
Location : Iowa
Mood : Bang Head

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by KZ on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Well, it just seems to me that $100K or $200K to MOM is not all that much $$, in the big scheme of what a $400+/ hr atty can make in a year. Yes, it's something, but it's hardly a windfall of cash for MOM. He probably typically makes close to a million a year, or more.
avatar
KZ
Moderator

Posts : 672
Join date : 2011-05-11
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by back2back19 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 pm

CherokeeNative wrote:
Marica wrote:How the HELL, does a highly respected, experienced
attorney become such an overnight sleazy scum bag
lawyer?

GREED

Yup. Plus, I think he likes the attention he is getting.

back2back19

Posts : 276
Join date : 2012-05-29
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by snowbird on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:47 pm

KZ wrote:Well, it just seems to me that $100K or $200K to MOM is not all that much $$, in the big scheme of what a $400+/ hr atty can make in a year. Yes, it's something, but it's hardly a windfall of cash for MOM. He probably typically makes close to a million a year, or more.
I choose this quote because it was the shortest about the money issue and I will try to explain why I have a problem with the web sight for George defense. There are a lot of crimes(murders) that are committed in our country every day and they don't get national news and if the person doesn't have money then they have to go with a public defender. Really who would give to the other people accuse of a crime, nobody even know about the crimes they may or may not have committed. This getting national attention for killing someone then to be able to profit off the killing while other people are not afforded the same opportunity is wrong. We are supposed to have a system where if you are accused of doing a crime and can't afford an attorney then an attorney will be provide to you and you get a public defender. If a public defender isn't good enough for George why are they good enough for other poor people.
Now the system is becoming that public defenders are only good enough for the really poor people who don't know how to work the press, while someone like George get the best attorney money can buy because of all the news press that he has gotten. Only because of that press was he able to set up a web sight asking people to send him money for his defense because if it wasn't for that he would be sitting in jail like all the other poor people who could pay to defend himself or have to money to make bond. So the moral of the story is if you are going to commit a crime make damn sure you do it in way that you get a lot of coverage on TV or you may just have to sit in jail because you can't meet bond and you will have to deal with a public defender. The attorney that takes these kinds of cases do so for the amount of coverage in the press and what ever books they will write later. I have yet to see a public defender always in the press defending their client, asking for money or writing a book after the trial.


Last edited by snowbird on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : word)
avatar
snowbird

Posts : 782
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : louisiana
Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 pm

KZ wrote:Cher, I hear your outrage at MOM's internet presence. But I'm kind of baffled why I don't share your (and others) outrage over the web presence of the defense. We certainly knew that Dot Simms was monitoring a bunch of sites in real time in court in the Anthony case, as well as during the run up to the case. They tried the "frenetic writing Casey", the "sisterwife Casey" etc to see which persona was received the "best" by avid trial followers. They have bragged about using blog discussion groups as part of their strategy, now that the case is over.

How is this any different? I don't see how it's unethical-- it would be unethical if MOM was (for example) posting evidence that had not been released to the public, like autopsy pictures. Or if he was mass "spam" emailing to all of the email addresses in FL or something of that nature. The $220K GZ/ MOM has raised is thru WILLING donations (from stupid people, imo), but is MUCH, MUCH MORE ethical than Jose Baez selling bloody pics of the victim to ABC for $200K in that case. THAT was unethical, imo-- and he got away with it because she had not yet been charged in Caylee's murder.

But how is simply asking for $$ donations and asking what websites people are looking at unethical? No one has to respond. No one has to donate anything. No one even has to read there. Frankly, I think his GZLegalCase site says very little at all that anyone who is following the case doesn't already know.

Who cares if he has an internet presence? I just don't see the ethical problem here. It's simply a new medium. Defense attys have been "playing" the media with interviews and statements as long as there have been defense attys. And prosecutors have always been more "gagged" about the cases than the defense. Prosecutors take the high road and keep their case close to the vest; defense attys spew all kinds of theories and statements to anyone who will listen. I don't see MOM's sites persuading anyone who wasn't already "pro-GZ." Does anyone really think some hapless potential juror might land on that site and "change their mind" about the case?? Even the undecided wouldn't be persuaded, imo. The site just doesn't have much on it. Not even any blinky blinky flashy flashy "Not Guilty" "GZ is Innocent" banners or crawlers or anything! It's pretty boring, imo.

Let him have his internet presence. It won't make any difference in whatever outcome we end up with, imo. And if he can raise $$ from donors, then FL taxpayers aren't paying for it, and for that, I'm glad. It's no different than a wealthy celebrity defendant funding a dream team, imo. It's his $$-- let him spend it down any way he wants. MOM won't be getting any JAC funds for his fees if GZ becomes indigent. The money and the internet presence just don't bother me at all.

IMO, any crook can hold out their hand for donations for their defense, as far as I'm concerned. No one has to donate. Now, once convicted, the convicted should not be able to receive a single penny for anything related to their crime. That's where I draw the line.

I also think jurors should be barred from receiving any compensation from books, interviews, etc. for the case they were jurors. But that's a whole OTHER discussion.

What Casey's lawyer did is completely different to what what O'Mara is doing. They did not solicit donations for "Casey's defense fund" to get paid for their legal fees. And, they used a consultant, Amy Singer, to gauge people's opinions and reactions to certain issues related to her defense, they didn't create a website to ask for money or to write about the case.
______

Casey Anthony defense team tweaked tactics in response to tweets

By Walter Pacheco
Orlando Sentinel

A consultant for Casey Anthony's attorneys analyzed more than 40,000 highly-charged opinions — negative and positive — on social media sites and blogs, and used them to help the defense craft their trial strategy.

Whether it worked or not is difficult to gauge, but a jury last week found Casey Anthony not guilty of murdering her 2-year-old daughter Caylee Marie.

"When bloggers and others in social media sites started to attack George Anthony about his alleged mistress, the defense team beefed up their questions against him," said Fort Lauderdale-based consultant Amy Singer. "None of the bloggers ever changed their minds about him."

The innovative pro-bono tactic by Singer shows how social media sites like Facebook and Twitter could revolutionize the way lawyers defend their clients, especially in highly-publicized cases like the Casey Anthony murder trial.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/casey-anthony-defense-team-tweaked-tactics-in-resp/nLt5L/
avatar
Alessandra_Deux

Posts : 21161
Join date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by snowbird on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:03 pm

One more thing about the money George is collecting for living expenses and defense, he admitted he killed this kid and IMO he is being rewarded. So George can't work because he was arrested, well Martin will never finish school, or get married and have a child. Martin loss more then a job, he lost his life because on a dark stormy night, George saw the suspect and decided to follow the suspect because the police were not coming fast enough and they always get away.
avatar
snowbird

Posts : 782
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : louisiana
Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by KZ on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Snowbird, thank you for explaining your thoughts. I can see how it could seem very unfair that he is getting defense money from complete strangers, and others accused of crimes don't. I can also understand the emotional feeling that he should be somehow "forced" to remain poor, and given an overworked, underpaid public defender, or even a "substandard" defense-- that he doesn't "deserve" vigorous, top notch defense, since he is accused of a heinous crime, and a lot of people hate him. I can understand people wanting him quickly convicted and thrown in prison.

However, I really disagree. I want every criminal to have the best defense money can buy. I want rightful convictions to STICK-- with no room for appeal. I want top notch defense attorneys to volunteer their services MORE so that NO ONE has to have an overworked, underpaid public defender. Everyone is free in America-- our system has flaws, but it is better than any legal system in the world-- in spite of the machinations of high profile cases.

Everyone likes to hate on defense attorneys....right up until the point where they (or someone they know or love) needs one. I have no love for GZ, but I have no hate for MOM. I think he has done a good job so far with an awful case. I am bemused that the pro GZ supporters hate him, and it seems plenty of pro TM supporters hate him, too. I think that indicates he is probably doing as GOOD a job as it is possible to do in a case of this high profile.
avatar
KZ
Moderator

Posts : 672
Join date : 2011-05-11
Location : Up North

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Freckles on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Marica wrote:How the HELL, does a highly respected, experienced
attorney become such an overnight sleazy scum bag
lawyer?
Easy. You took your blinders off! study You paid attention.

GZ IS entitled to a good lawyer but I sure hope that lawyer is decent --- honest and respectable in his trade. Tired of lawyers playing stupid games of "catch me if you can" and of lawyers being "sanctioned" without any sanctioning! Not even a written warning to the Bar.

More I see/hear of MOM (BTW, nice acronym for the babysitting he is doing on GZ) the more I wonder exactly why the other two attorneys left GZ' case.
avatar
Freckles

Posts : 16528
Join date : 2012-05-13
Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Freckles on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:01 am

snowbird wrote:One more thing about the money George is collecting for living expenses and defense, he admitted he killed this kid and IMO he is being rewarded. So George can't work because he was arrested, well Martin will never finish school, or get married and have a child. Martin loss more then a job, he lost his life because on a dark stormy night, George saw the suspect and decided to follow the suspect because the police were not coming fast enough and they always get away.
I know it does not seem fair but at this juncture, there is nothing in the laws to prohibit this type of activity. I hope there is solid accounting, however, for I DO hope the Martins sue for a wrongful death.

Rake it in, GZ! You owe so much more to the Martins and you will never be able to pay that debt for it is NOT a debt of cash but one of life, and liberty and the pursuit of happiness. JMO.
avatar
Freckles

Posts : 16528
Join date : 2012-05-13
Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 am

Marica wrote:How the HELL, does a highly respected, experienced
attorney become such an overnight sleazy scum bag
lawyer?

--"the love of money is the root of all evil" comes to mind.
avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Requiem on Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:34 am

Regarding a motion for recusal. I'm not sure the defense has legal grounds, but in most cases, if a defendant claims they can't receive a fair trial a judge will voluntarily step down. However, I don't think a request based on feeling versus law is very well looked upon by fellow members of the bench. At this point, judge Lester has made very clear that he has based his rulings on the evidence presented to him in court. There has been no indication or admission by him that he has relied upon any other information. Therefore, the defense can't claim that the judge has been tainted by outside influences.
Part of his job in establishing bail and moving forward with a case is based upon how much weight he gives to the state's case against a defendant. GZ has openly admitted he killed Trayvon Martin and at this point has not formally asked for a SYG hearing. Therefore, the judge must rule that the case for murder 2 is strong. duh! Legally speaking, what other choice does he have?

Requiem

Posts : 68
Join date : 2012-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by ellejay on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:06 am

--i have no clue how team omara thinks the judge could be/should be recused-----but i'm sure they've got their heads banged together thinking about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_disqualification

Judicial disqualification

In the United States, the term "recusal" is used most often with respect to court proceedings. Two sections of Title 28 of the United States Code (the Judicial Code) provide standards for judicial disqualification or recusal. Section 455, captioned "Disqualification of justice, judge, or magistrate judge," provides that a federal judge "shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned." The same section also provides that a judge is disqualified "where he has a personal bias or prejudice concerning a party, or personal knowledge of disputed evidentiary facts concerning the proceeding"; when the judge has previously served as a lawyer or witness concerning the same case or has expressed an opinion concerning its outcome; or when the judge or a member of his or her immediate family has a financial interest in the outcome of the proceeding.

28 U.S.C. sec. 144, captioned "Bias or prejudice of judge," provides that under circumstances, when a party to a case in a United States District Court files a "timely and sufficient Motion that the judge before whom the matter is pending has a personal bias or prejudice either against him or in favor of an adverse party," the case shall be transferred to another judge.

The general rule is that to warrant recusal, a judge's expression of an opinion about the merits of a case or familiarity with the facts or the parties must have originated in a source outside the case itself. This is referred to in the United States as the "extra-judicial source rule" and was recognized as a general presumption, although not an invariable one, in the 1994 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Liteky v. United States.

Often justices or judges will recuse themselves sua sponte (on their own motion), recognizing that facts leading to their disqualification are present. However, where such facts exist, a party to the case may suggest recusal. Generally, each judge is the arbiter of a motion for the judge's recusal, which is addressed to the judge's conscience and discretion. However, where lower courts are concerned, an erroneous refusal to recuse in a clear case can be reviewed on appeal or, under extreme circumstances, by a petition for a writ of prohibition.
avatar
ellejay

Posts : 843
Join date : 2012-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by CherokeeNative on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:13 am

KZ wrote:Cher, I hear your outrage at MOM's internet presence. But I'm kind of baffled why I don't share your (and others) outrage over the web presence of the defense. We certainly knew that Dot Simms was monitoring a bunch of sites in real time in court in the Anthony case, as well as during the run up to the case. They tried the "frenetic writing Casey", the "sisterwife Casey" etc to see which persona was received the "best" by avid trial followers. They have bragged about using blog discussion groups as part of their strategy, now that the case is over.

How is this any different? I don't see how it's unethical-- it would be unethical if MOM was (for example) posting evidence that had not been released to the public, like autopsy pictures. Or if he was mass "spam" emailing to all of the email addresses in FL or something of that nature. The $220K GZ/ MOM has raised is thru WILLING donations (from stupid people, imo), but is MUCH, MUCH MORE ethical than Jose Baez selling bloody pics of the victim to ABC for $200K in that case. THAT was unethical, imo-- and he got away with it because she had not yet been charged in Caylee's murder.

But how is simply asking for $$ donations and asking what websites people are looking at unethical? No one has to respond. No one has to donate anything. No one even has to read there. Frankly, I think his GZLegalCase site says very little at all that anyone who is following the case doesn't already know.

Who cares if he has an internet presence? I just don't see the ethical problem here. It's simply a new medium. Defense attys have been "playing" the media with interviews and statements as long as there have been defense attys. And prosecutors have always been more "gagged" about the cases than the defense. Prosecutors take the high road and keep their case close to the vest; defense attys spew all kinds of theories and statements to anyone who will listen. I don't see MOM's sites persuading anyone who wasn't already "pro-GZ." Does anyone really think some hapless potential juror might land on that site and "change their mind" about the case?? Even the undecided wouldn't be persuaded, imo. The site just doesn't have much on it. Not even any blinky blinky flashy flashy "Not Guilty" "GZ is Innocent" banners or crawlers or anything! It's pretty boring, imo.

Let him have his internet presence. It won't make any difference in whatever outcome we end up with, imo. And if he can raise $$ from donors, then FL taxpayers aren't paying for it, and for that, I'm glad. It's no different than a wealthy celebrity defendant funding a dream team, imo. It's his $$-- let him spend it down any way he wants. MOM won't be getting any JAC funds for his fees if GZ becomes indigent. The money and the internet presence just don't bother me at all.

IMO, any crook can hold out their hand for donations for their defense, as far as I'm concerned. No one has to donate. Now, once convicted, the convicted should not be able to receive a single penny for anything related to their crime. That's where I draw the line.

I also think jurors should be barred from receiving any compensation from books, interviews, etc. for the case they were jurors. But that's a whole OTHER discussion.

KZ, I was admittedly appalled when MOM originally created his GZ Legal Defense site seeking money for GZ's defense for the many reasons that others have already responded. But I tried to look at it from the same perspective you are that "well, at least it is preventing the taxpayer from having to foot the bill" and "we want him to get a fair trial." But what I was trying to point out with my recent post that I obviously did not emphasize enough to get across was MOM's most recent statement seeking additional donations following Judge Lester's raising of the bond to $1,000,000. MOM immediately posted the following statement:

"For those who have given in the past, for those who have thought about giving, for those who feel Mr. Zimmerman was justified in his actions, for those who feel they would do the same if they were in Mr. Zimmerman's shoes, for those that think Mr. Zimmerman has been treated unfairly by the media, for those who feel Mr. Zimmerman has been falsely accused as a racist, for those who feel this case is an affront to their constitutional rights -- now is the time to show your support."

As a criminal defense attorney, MOM has crossed the line in every sense of the words "ethical" and "professionalism." As a human being, MOM has lost all sight of the fact that a young teen, who had a very promising future, has needlessly lost his life because his client perceived him as a thug when in fact, he had every right to be where he was while walking home and talking to his girlfriend on his cell phone. MOM has thrown compassion for the victim out the window in exchange for greed and fame. As Porky aptly pointed out, when MOM first came on the scene, he spoke about the community healing, how the killing of this teen was a tragedy, and having compassion for his parents, but that is before the money started to flow in. That MOM has allowed his monumental ego and greed take over is particularly disconcerting and distasteful to say the least. If MOM's statement is not a call to racists, what is it? Think about that statement - For all those who would do the same - meaning for all that would shoot a youth who was doing nothing more than walking home while black with a bag of Skittles and Arizona Iced Tea. It was unnecessary in his process of pandering for more legal defense funds. It's disgusting, tasteless, and MOM should be called to account for it. I have no doubt that this is just a small indication as to what lengths MOM will go in order to see that his client wins at all costs. This is not an entirely innocent man, he has admitted shooting Trayvon and the inconsistencies of what occurred that night give cause to believe that he committed a murder. We will see if his self-defense claims relieve him of responsibility for the death of Trayvon. We are long past the days where the defense attorney would blame the woman who was the victim of rape for her manner of dress or demeanor realizing that such treatment lacks compassion and respect for the victim. It is no different for Trayvon. Because GZ perceived this teen as a thug and potential burglar, he followed and caused a confrontation where this unarmed teen was wrongfully killed. To imagine what fear must have been going through Trayvon's mind gives me the shudders. How dare MOM pander to the extremists who see Trayvon as expendable and not worthy of a life - and that is exactly who that statement is intended for. I am outraged. MOM's reputation as a respectable defense attorney has been tarnished. It is no longer about justice - MOM is attempting to turn it into a racist and political contest. I now perceive him as about the lowest form of life in existence and I am not proud that he is a member of the legal profession.

The phrase -for those who feel this case is an affront to their constitutional rights - is meant for the gun enthusiasts, members of NRA, and others who own firearms. While I am not outraged by this statement as I am the above discussed phrase, I am still troubled that MOM is pandering to this group of individuals for support. Anyone who has the most elementary knowledge of how our laws are created and enacted knows that this case is not going to make or break the SYG law. No matter the outcome of this case, the SYG law is going to be scrutinized - in fact, it is already being reviewed. MOM knows this, but for greed and ego, he is pursuing that group of people as donors.

The Florida Bar Association needs to reprimand MOM and demand that he cease and desist maintaining a GZ web site that discusses the case. I don't care if he keeps his little Paypal button and continues to collect funds from GZ's supporters, but the comments regarding the case need to stop.
avatar
CherokeeNative

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-05-12
Location : PNW
Mood : Feeling beat up

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Marica on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:00 am

OK.. backing up a bit here.. When I asked HOW a respected experienced
attorney becomes a sleaze.. I was in a way mocking what has been said
of O'Mara in the courts and media. I believe Judge Lester even made some
comment about O'Mara's status with the courts. How is it this man has been
presented to us as being such a fine example, and we are seeing him in a
whole other light.

If the guy is a sleaze now, he has no doubt always been one.

Someone mentioned that he likes the attention..
I'm laughing about that comment and thinking
I sure wouldn't be thrilled being known throughout
cyberspace and beyond as the sleazy lawyer who
swallows his lips.

Sorry I'm not sure who to credit for these comments.
I'm thinking Ellejay and KZ.. If I'm wrong please excuse
and give me a pass because these two always leave me
laughing with their awesome wit.
avatar
Marica

Posts : 565
Join date : 2012-05-14
Age : 70
Location : Iowa
Mood : Bang Head

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Gizmo711 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:13 am

back2back19 wrote:
Gizmo711 wrote:I just cannot grip that people are sending in 10"s and 20"s and accumilating this amount of money. There is just no way that many people are Zimmerman supporters. Or are they just Trayvon haters?

I can't help but think that only a few organizations are behind this. They may be sending the money in through their supporters to make it appear that Zimmerman has a lot of people rooting for him.

It's just sick, plain sick...We have starving children, homeless people and heaven knows what else that needs money and they spend their this way.

barf


I think it's probably mostly the gun and racist organizations. And the same with individual donors. I think it's mostly gun enthusists and racists who think GZ did the right thing. It's disgusting. Of all the people in the world to give money to, they give it to this tool? Just disgusting.


After I heard of his release I started thinking about what Casey Anthony's grandmother said "Casey hated her mother more than she loved her daughter". In a round about way, I think this is what it's all about, these doners don't like Zimmerman, (how can anyone like this man other than his mother), these people hate who Trayvon was more than they could care anything about Zimmerman. I think these people are more so trying to anger Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson etc. because of their hate for them.

As for the donor's being skin heads or racists groups, I can't rap my brain around that because Zimmerman's heritage doesn't fit their side. These type only will be on the side of the white race. They may come to the aid of the SPD (as they did) because they, like the black panthers, want to inject problems more than actually help a situation.

I think it's more so the ones that hate just as much as the above but will fight with their few dollars rather than come out into the open. If they were a certain group, they would have taken responsibility, but they are cowards so they vent their hate with a few dollars to show their support for a person who killed what they hate. In their warped way of thinking, the one who gives the most is throwing another bullit at the victim.

(I'm not very good at explaining myself so I hope I am able to get my point across, I know what I am thinking but to put it in writing is another thing)


Gizmo711

Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Gizmo711 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:24 am

As for the bond company. Bondsmen and their insurance companies head out to capture the attention of "bad guys", criminals. So it doesn't surprise me that their name is all over the place associated with this case. This is very good publicity for the type of business they are in.

Something like what "Lenny Padilla and nephue" did during the Casey Anthey case. Because there is just NO WAY that Zimmerman and family were able to secure this million dollar bond so the insurance company seen the restrictions that were placed on Zimmerman and decided to take the chance because they too get a cut when these bad guys put in for a bond.


Gizmo711

Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Gizmo711 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:28 am

Marica wrote:How the HELL, does a highly respected, experienced
attorney become such an overnight sleazy scum bag
lawyer?


He obviously was always one, it's just now showing to the public. This is how they capture that special type of audience that they are trying to capture. They could care less about the good guys, good guys don't put food on their table. After defending the scum for so long, they get just like the ones they are defending.

Gizmo711

Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Gizmo711 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:31 am

MollyK wrote:I can't imagine that he would step down just because GZ asked him to, even if he said, "Pretty please!" I hope that he continues, because he really has GZ's number.

I too doubt that he would just step down, besides, O'Mara doesn't know who he will get if he did try to persue that.

Gizmo711

Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Gizmo711 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:32 am

CherokeeNative wrote:
Stolat wrote:

Many news media outlets have stated his tactics are unprecedented. I hope he doesn't mind having his name referenced as the pioneer for such online defense fund sites as the "Help Protect the Wife Beaters of USA - aka The B#tches Had It Coming" or "She Looked 18 to Me -- Get Over It".

Stolat - that is what gets me about these types of people. If this had been one of their own, or if Trayvon had been white and GZ hispanic or black, their minds would be thinking in complete reverse as they are thinking now. That's what makes it so disgusting - they are not considering what is "right."


Exactly.........

Gizmo711

Posts : 804
Join date : 2012-05-12

Back to top Go down

Re: George Zimmerman / Trayvon Martin Case #5

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum