Jerry Sandusky Trial #2

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Jerry Sandusky Trial #2

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Timeline: The rise and fall of Jerry Sandusky

June 23, 2012 1:18 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/state/timeline-the-rise-and-fall-of-jerry-sandusky-641626/
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenbutt on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:54 pm

Freckles, I am really not sure what I believe about Paterno. I do know he reported it to the appropriate people. Should he have done more, probably. Should he have followed thru, yes. What I am having a hard time with is the fact that he apparently, and I repeat I don't know much about Paterno, was well respected and had a good reputation. Since he did what was required by law to do, then I feel like his reputation was sullied and if I were his family I would want his good name and reputation restored.
Again, I don't know enough to really speak intelligently about this subject (so I probably shouldn't be talking about it) but I feel bad that an apparent good man died with his reputation in ruins. That makes me sad.
Chickenbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Penn State signals wants to close Sandusky sex abuse cases

By Ian Simpson

BELLEFONTE, Pa., June 23 | Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:31pm EDT

BELLEFONTE, Pa., June 23 (Reuters) - With former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky now behind bars for child sexual abuse, the university has given an unusual signal that it wants to wrap up civil suits as fast as possible, legal observers said on Saturday.

Shortly after Sandusky, 68, was convicted late on Friday on 45 counts of sexual abuse, Pennsylvania State University invited victims to try to resolve claims against the school.

"The purpose of the program is simple - the university wants to provide a forum where the university can privately, expeditiously and fairly address the victims' concerns and compensate them for claims relating to the university," it said in a statement.

Sandusky's conviction clears a hurdle for potentially big-ticket civil suits since abuse victims suing the school now can point to a crime that was committed, the observers said.

At least two civil suits have been filed already against the school, both in Philadelphia. A filing by Sandusky's lawyers last month put the number of potential victims at almost 20.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/23/usa-crime-sandusky-civil-idUSL2E8HN22L20120623
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by back2back19 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Chickenbutt wrote:I have been reading about Joe Paterno. It is the general consensus that he did the "legally" right thing by reporting to the Penn State Police what McQ told him. Some are saying he had a "moral" obligation to do more. Whichever it is, if I were the family of Paterno, I would want to have my husbands/fathers/grandathers name cleared. He was apparently beloved and to die with this black mark against him would be devastating after a lifetime of apparent exemplary life.

I don't know much about Paterno, but IMO, he is just another victim in this debacle.

He did do the "legally" right thing, but he deserved to be fired. He got what he deserved. He put his own reputation, his football program before these young boys. He should not be lauded for what he did. He did the bare minium. He knew, going back to the 1998 incident that Sandusky was potentially a child predator and he still let him around the PSU football program, he still let him bring children. He could have stopped all that. Joe Paterno is/was a legend. He had infinitely more power than the AD, President. All he had to do was make one phone call to the police. All he had to do was get on Curley's butt or Schultz's butt he didn't. He is not a victim. Just like McQueary isn't a victim. I give him props for coming forward(or, well more accurately, not running when the commonwealth came acallin') and not lying to protect himself(unlike Curley/Schultz, who are both putting themselves above and before children) but he was wrong... he was very wrong in not doing anything. He, too, did the bare minium. I will give him that to his mind he thought he was going to the police and doing the right thing but he should have done more(like getting that kid out of there). But Joe Paterno is the one who had the power to end Sandusky's reign of terror earlier and he didn't. This scandal should be a black mark on his career. People should not forget what he didn't do. I don't think it makes him a bad person. I don't think it makes McQueary a bad person. They are/were fine men but they made several horrible judgement calls. But let me be clear, the only monster, the only evil person in this mess is Sandusky. The survivers are the only victims.

But that's me and my opinion. :)

back2back19

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Penn State reacts to Jerry Sandusky guilty verdict

June 22, 2012 11:44 PM

The Penn State Scandal

(CBS/AP) After a jury found former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky guilty Friday on 45 of 48 counts in his child sex abuse trial, the university that employed him - and drew fire for its handling of abuse accusations - released a statement.

"No verdict," the statement reads, "can undo the pain and suffering caused by Mr. Sandusky, but we do hope this judgment helps the victims and their families along their path to healing."

Sandusky's arrest in November led the Penn State trustees to fire Joe Paterno as head coach, saying he exhibited a lack of leadership after fielding a report of abuse from assistant coach Mike McQueary.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57459271/penn-state-reacts-to-jerry-sandusky-guilty-verdict/
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by glazier on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:11 pm

This case really hit close to home for me, literally.
Growing up in Western Pennsylvania in the 70's,
watching Pitt vs Penn State the Friday after Thanksgiving
every year...those Players were like Gods to me and I
dreamed that maybe one day I could be on THAT field
on THAT day...
My Uncle taught at PSU and I would visit as a child.
Happy Valley.
And all the while this MONSTER slithered about unseen.

When the Jury went past day 2 I started to think
OH NO!NOT AGAIN!!
Thankfully they didn't need a Videotape of the Crime in
order to Convict.
Thankfully they used LOGIC, Common sense and their
knowledge of Human behavior to conclude those BRAVE
young Men would NOT take the stand and lie.
Thankfully they had the Wisdom to expose the MONSTER
to the Light of JUSTICE.

glazier

Mood : Frying Pan

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Jerry Sandusky verdict: Investigations continue of Penn State officials, Second Mile charity, more

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 11:30 AM Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2012, 11:47 AM

By JEFF FRANTZ, The Patriot-News

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/jerry_sandusky_trial_sandusky-.html
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Joe Pa was/is beloved in the football community. He and Bobby Bowden of FSU were the longest tenured coaches in NCAA. Joe Pa did many wonderful things for the young men under his tutaledge. This was an awful decision, but, he was in his 80's and when this was reported to him he was in his 70's. People in that era didn't wantto believe that this type of stuff went on. I think he did what he could do. I mean that in the way that he probably had great difficulty coming forth to the appropriate authority with what was reported to him. I am still not clear as to what McQ said to him. Was he specific or general in his description? I don't know. Anyway, I guess because I do follow football and know of Joe Pa in the role of coach, I guess I hate the thought that his career is stained with this brush. His family is beloved as was he.
tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:19 pm

"Charges are pending against two Penn State officials, and agencies are conducting reviews of the university. Sandusky was found guilty of molesting boys, some of them on the PSU campus."

The Patriot-News
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenbutt on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:21 pm

b2b. Very well put. I am not so set in my thinking that my mind can't be changed. You make a good argument. Thank you. Something more for me to think about.
Chickenbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenbutt on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:26 pm

You guys are all causing me issues Very Happy
I am vacillating about Paterno and you all make very good points. So my conclusion to this matter in my mind is:

It's too damn bad a man died with his reputation and good name so tarnished.
Chickenbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:59 pm

-- The eyewitness testimony that confronted jurors in Jerry Sandusky's child-molestation trial this week was disturbing not only for its graphic descriptions of sex with boys, but for what it said about the people who surrounded and maybe even protected the once-revered Penn State assistant coach.

Eight accusers took the witness stand and described how Sandusky molested them in campus showers, hotel bathrooms, a basement bedroom, a sauna used by the football team – right under the noses of his friends, colleagues, family members and acquaintances.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/16/jerry-sandusky-trial-testimony-penn-state-cover-up_n_1602618.html
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Jerry Sandusky

Matt Rourke/Associated Press

Updated: June 23, 2012

"The case against Sandusky, even before his trial, had exacted an enormous toll. Joe Paterno, the university’s famed head coach who had been alerted to at least one of Sandusky’s attacks on a boy, was fired, went into a kind of exile and was dead of cancer within months. The university’s longtime president, Graham B. Spanier, was dismissed as well, and Penn State officials, alumni and students were forced to confront the possibility that the interests of big-time college sports had trumped concern for the welfare of vulnerable children.

While working for Paterno, Sandusky founded a charity, the Second Mile, to work with troubled youths. In a trial that lasted two weeks, prosecutors asserted that Sandusky had used the charity as his private hunting ground, scouting for potential victims. He gave them gifts and money, invited them to his home, took them to Penn State football games, showered with them at the university’s football building and slept with them in hotel rooms on the road."

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/jerry_sandusky/index.html
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by glazier on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:13 pm

So many victims in this horrible case, like the current
students at PSU, people who live int the area,the 'good-guys' at Second Mile(who really wanted to help kids),
it goes on and on.

This Evil Monster did so much damage to so many people
that it's hard to calculate.
The bright side is now the healing can begin.

glazier

Mood : Frying Pan

Back to top Go down

Post by One Wonders on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:13 pm

When all the dust settle's I'm wondering if JS will take his chances in the state of PA or request to be moved out of state for his prison sentence.
The comments about how no one would believe a poor down trodden child over him I'm hoping will not set well with those in prison. It's true that most if not all prisons have units just for SO's. Even SO have a dislike for child molesters and if prison is as bad I hope it is he will not fare well unless he pays for protection and then he can't be protected 24/7. We will most likely never know what his life will be like in prison but I hope he never has a moment of peace, ever.
One Wonders

Mood : Neener

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Timeline: The Penn State Scandal

On June 22, 2012, Jerry Sandusky, a former defensive coordinator for the Penn State football team, was convicted of sexually assaulting 10 boys, completing the downfall of a onetime local hero. All of his victims were children from disadvantaged homes whom Sandusky, using his access to the university’s vaunted football program, had befriended and then repeatedly violated. Sandusky, who had worked with needy children through his Second Mile foundation, was prominent both in the college football world and in the university’s community. The legendary Penn State coach Joe Paterno was fired after the scandal. A grand jury report detailed the alleged incidents.

1969 - Jerry Sandusky, a starting defensive end at Penn State under Coach Rip Engle from 1963 to 1965, joins Joe Paterno’s coaching staff as the defensive line coach.

1977 - Sandusky establishes the Second Mile, a foundation to help needy children. The organization, as described on its Web site, is “committed to helping young people achieve their potential as individuals and as community members and providing education and support for their parents and youth service professionals.” The organization plans activities and programs for the children “to promote self-confidence as well as physical, academic, and personal success.”

Read more:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/11/11/sports/ncaafootball/sandusky.html?ref=jerrysandusky
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by snowbird on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:02 pm

Judge denied lawyers request to resign

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8088760/penn-state-nittany-lions-jerry-sandusky-lawyers-wanted-resign-judge-said-no

No we know what the appeal will be based on.
snowbird

Mood : Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by snowbird on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Penn State press release

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8087298/penn-state-nittany-lions-statement-jerry-sandusky-verdict
snowbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenbutt on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:20 pm

-snipped from PSU Press Release above-

Now that the jury has spoken, the University wants to continue that dialogue and do its part to help victims continue their path forward. To that end, the University plans to invite victims of Mr. Sandusky's abuse to participate in a program to facilitate the resolution of claims against the University arising out of Mr. Sandusky's conduct. The purpose of the program is simple -- the University wants to provide a forum where the University can privately, expeditiously and fairly address the victims' concerns and compensate them for claims relating to the University. Counsel to the University plan to reach out to counsel to the victims of Mr. Sandusky's abuse in the near future with additional details.

In other words...get in here, sign the check we are going to hand you and sign this release and let's move on.
Am I cynical or what?
Chickenbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by snowbird on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Chickenbutt wrote:-snipped from PSU Press Release above-

Now that the jury has spoken, the University wants to continue that dialogue and do its part to help victims continue their path forward. To that end, the University plans to invite victims of Mr. Sandusky's abuse to participate in a program to facilitate the resolution of claims against the University arising out of Mr. Sandusky's conduct. The purpose of the program is simple -- the University wants to provide a forum where the University can privately, expeditiously and fairly address the victims' concerns and compensate them for claims relating to the University. Counsel to the University plan to reach out to counsel to the victims of Mr. Sandusky's abuse in the near future with additional details.

In other words...get in here, sign the check we are going to hand you and sign this release and let's move on.
Am I cynical or what?
My husband and I said the same thing. Plus they don't want to go to court they are afraid of how much more is going to come out. Also would you go to a psychologist that the university would provided?
snowbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickenbutt on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Not likely.
Chickenbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by back2back19 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:02 am

snowbird wrote:
Chickenbutt wrote:-snipped from PSU Press Release above-

Am I cynical or what?
My husband and I said the same thing. Plus they don't want to go to court they are afraid of how much more is going to come out. Also would you go to a psychologist that the university would provided?

They should be afraid. From what I've gathered in various news reports, the Louis Freeh(Former FBI director) report will be very damaging to PSU, especially with the knowledge of the e-mails between Spanier and Curley/Schultz(can't remember which) where it was said to be "humane" TO Sandusky not to report what McQ saw in the showers, so clearly they knew something sexual and wrong happened but didn't really care.

I hope the survivers refuse to take the payoff and they take them for every cent they can get. Everything needs to be brought out. Every little nasty detail because I don't think only Paterno, Schultz, Curley, Spanier and McQ knew... I think there were a whole lot more in the know and no one did anything. I also think it's possible most people suspected something and turned a blind eye because it was Sandusky and he was a legend. Plus, homophobia runs rampant in sports, so I can see that being a huge issue.

Anyways, no... I wouldn't touch any sort of psychologist set up by PSU, however I would ask them to pay for one of my choosing. LOL I do think PSU owes them that. They deserve free therapy for the rest of their lives as they will need it.

back2back19

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:22 am

Jerry Sandusky's conviction is just the beginning, Penn State likely faces civil lawsuits from his victims

Former PSU administrators Gary Schultz and Tim Curley are facing criminal charges along with ex-president Graham Spanier

By Tom Harvey / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, June 23, 2012, 11:33 PM

Former Penn State athletic director Tim Curley (left) and former Penn State Vice President Gary Schultz are each facing criminal charges in the aftermath of Jerry Sandusky's conviction Friday night..

Although Jerry Sandusky is finally in jail and will likely spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement, the litigation surrounding the Penn State University scandal is far from over.

Under the glare of the national media and public outcry, Penn State retained the Freeh Group to do an “independent” investigation. Led by Louis Freeh, a former federal judge and one-time director of the FBI, the group is staffed by former FBI agents and federal prosecutors.

The problem for Penn State and some of its former administrators is that the Freeh Group will follow the evidence, no matter where it takes them. Already there are reports that Freeh and his staff uncovered emails that show ex-school president Graham Spanier had been told by former administrators Gary Schultz and Tim Curley about their meeting with graduate assistant coach Mike McQueary..........

Read more:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/jerry-sandusky-conviction-beginning-penn-state-faces-civil-lawsuits-victims-article-1.1101356
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:29 am

Sandusky victim lawyer: Penn State's role in focus now

June 23, 2012 8:50 AM

"Tom Kline, whose client took the stand in Sandusky's trial, told co-host Rebecca Jarvis, "I've made no bones about it, that now that the attention will shift away from the perpetrator, we have to look at what I call the enabler. And there's no doubt that Penn State has responsibility here, just from what we know, that's reported publicly and just from what we've uncovered in our initial investigation.

"We're looking forward very much so to the (former FBI Director Louis) Freeh report (he's heading up an internal investigation being conducted by the school) ... and we've been promised -- I've spoken with Penn State lawyers, and we've been promised that that report is going to be full and it's going to be complete. I think that's a starting point for our assessment on the civil liability here."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33816_162-57459323/sandusky-victim-lawyer-penn-states-role-in-focus-now/
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:42 am

back2back19 wrote:
snowbird wrote:

They should be afraid. From what I've gathered in various news reports, the Louis Freeh(Former FBI director) report will be very damaging to PSU, especially with the knowledge of the e-mails between Spanier and Curley/Schultz(can't remember which) where it was said to be "humane" TO Sandusky not to report what McQ saw in the showers, so clearly they knew something sexual and wrong happened but didn't really care.

I hope the survivers refuse to take the payoff and they take them for every cent they can get. Everything needs to be brought out. Every little nasty detail because I don't think only Paterno, Schultz, Curley, Spanier and McQ knew... I think there were a whole lot more in the know and no one did anything. I also think it's possible most people suspected something and turned a blind eye because it was Sandusky and he was a legend. Plus, homophobia runs rampant in sports, so I can see that being a huge issue.

Anyways, no... I wouldn't touch any sort of psychologist set up by PSU, however I would ask them to pay for one of my choosing. LOL I do think PSU owes them that. They deserve free therapy for the rest of their lives as they will need it.

I think that Sandusky's conviction is just the tip of the iceberg. I am glad that you brought up the Freeh Report because I have been reading about it.

Here is the following:

Freeh Report to Be Free of BoT Pre-Screening

As Day 2 of jury selection continued, a surprising and potentially transparent piece of news has emerged in regards to the Louis Freeh internal investigation.

When the former FBI Director’s report is completed, it will be released to the public at the same time it is made available to the Board of Trustees and other Penn State officials.

Read more:
http://onwardstate.com/2012/06/06/freeh-report-to-be-free-of-bot-pre-screening/
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:48 am

Our take: Finally, justice for Sandusky's victims

Posted: 06/23/2012 01:32:33 PM EDT

Jerry Sandusky's booking photo released early Saturday morning June 23, 2012, by the Centre County Correctional Facility in Bellefonte. (Associated Press)Justice was done swiftly and fairly in the Centre County courtroom of Judge John Cleland over the last two weeks.

A monster - a real one, a predator of childhood innocence, not a "tickle monster" - has been exposed and imprisoned for what should amount to a life sentence.

Swift, efficient justice in the court system was the least Jerry Sandusky's victims were owed after years, perhaps decades, of failure to unmask and cage this pedophile.

We - the community, society at large - let those victims down.

Read more:
http://www.eveningsun.com/opinion/ci_20921839/our-take-finally-justice-sanduskys-victims
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:31 am

At the very least, Paterno should have done a PD follow-up, notified campus security of a potential abuse of locker rooms in after hours, and PULLED Sanducky's keys!

He also could have asked Sanducky to not bring children on to the campus because of "rumors" of inappropriate activities among undisclosed faculty.

The situation fell into Paterno's lap and he had the duty and the authority to act and follow-up. He did not. Please understand: J Paterno May be the nicest guy out there but he turned a blind or trusting eye when he should not have. The results were more boys injured and scarred. JMO.
Freckles

Mood : Eyebrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:36 am

Clipped from: Back 2 Back:
"I hope the survivers refuse to take the payoff and they take them for every cent they can get. Everything needs to be brought out. Every little nasty detail because I don't think only Paterno, Schultz, Curley, Spanier and McQ knew... I think there were a whole lot more in the know and no one did anything. I also think it's possible most people suspected something and turned a blind eye because it was Sandusky and he was a legend. "

I am afraid this may be the case. I have to wonder if any of the others took boys from 2nd Mile to games or special outings. Maybe, the organization got financial kick-backs from others Sanducky personally knew as a kind of "thanks" thing. Pity Sanducky never took the stand. Bet prosecution knows, huh?
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by KZ on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:05 am

Freckles, in my gut I believe there are many other victims. That was his pattern-- serial victims. Homosexual pedophiles don't just wake up one day in their 30's or 40's and decide they like little boys for sex. This is a life long perversion, with roots in adolescence for the abuser. Whoever his first victim was, that experience emboldoned Sandusky to continue.

There is no real "cure" for pedophiles. The urges and fantasies remain for their entire lives. Therapy doesn't remove urges and fantasies. Medications don't remove urges and fantasies. Chemical castration only blunts the urges and fantasies. As a society, all we can really do is lock them away, and if they must be released, to insist on lifelong close monitoring/ probation. In MN, they are locked up "forever" at a special sex offender prison, after they complete their regular prison sentence. No one has ever been released from this hospital prison, and quite frankly, I'm just fine with that. The protection of the public, imo, is a higher priority than the freedom of these perverts to go out and hurt more people. True sex offenders (not a 20yo male who dated a 17 yo), imo, should be permanently removed from society to a humane, secure setting, where they can live out their lives. Pedophiles are the most vile of all sex offenders, imo. There is no justification for releasing them unsupervised back into society-- even after their sentences are complete, imo.
KZ

Back to top Go down

Post by KZ on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:26 am

Freckles wrote:At the very least, Paterno should have done a PD follow-up, notified campus security of a potential abuse of locker rooms in after hours, and PULLED Sanducky's keys!

He also could have asked Sanducky to not bring children on to the campus because of "rumors" of inappropriate activities among undisclosed faculty.

The situation fell into Paterno's lap and he had the duty and the authority to act and follow-up. He did not. Please understand: J Paterno May be the nicest guy out there but he turned a blind or trusting eye when he should not have. The results were more boys injured and scarred. JMO.

I totally agree. I understand Joe Pa is a legend, but I'm sorry-- football is just a game. I really cringe when I hear the reverence for ANY sport (or athlete, or coach) used as a justification for minimizing or overlooking any crime. I think he should have done a LOT more. I think he knew a LOT more, too. What if Joe Pa had been a school principal, and Jerry Sandusky a celebrated middle school teacher? What if Joe Pa and Jerry were little league coaches? We would all be inflamed and horrified then, right? So why does ANY affiliation with a college sport mitigate what was going on? If anything, I think it makes the whole thing worse. The SPORT and the UNIVERSITY were more important than the bodies, minds, and spirits of the kids-- the kids from troubled backgrounds. And the excuses and justifications are still coming. We don't dare say a word criticizing a revered, dead coach, right? The dead are beyond criticism in a society that idolizes sports. I'm sure Joe Pa was a very nice guy, but imo, he didn't do what he should have done, with the information he had. He succeeded on the football field, but failed epically in the real world. He could have taken steps to stop the abuse-- and didn't. He didn't. He chose football over kids, imo.

The University "reaching out" to the victims in this very public way makes me sick. It's all about CYA for the U now-- mitigate the $$ damage. Let's look like we care, and we want to help, before we have to take out our checkbook for the victims. Better yet, maybe the U can offer them special tickets for life to Penn State games. Just sign on the dotted line.....
KZ

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:26 am

KZ-
Glad to hear at least one state realizes the danger a sexual abuser does to the fabric of its community by not releasing them back into society. Bravo! Pity is while social workers, LE, psychologists, etc., ALL know a sexual predator can NOT be rehabilitated they still do minimum sentencing and releases back into society. Not all the time but even once is too many. I fell it may be in part the "old boy and a wink " system.
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Nene_Please on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:27 am

One thing on my mind is that his wife went home every night and slept in the same house with him during the trial. She better file for divorce real quick and leave the country cause their money is fixing to be all gone with the civil suits just waiting to start up. She may act like she knew nothing but she better wake up cause their marriage is over.
Nene_Please

Mood : Excited

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:32 am

Does anyone know if this was Sanducky's first/only wife or if he had been married before?

Dottie, IMO, has her heads in a cloud and is humming a little song. Maybe something like, "Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..." She sees no evil even when it is realty and in her own home, her own bed. She just keeps make believing.

I don't see her divorcing the "man of her dreams" but I do see her continuing in her denial of the truth. In her eyes, everyone is a liar and a conspirator against her hubby; they all must be jealous of Jer.
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Freckles on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:55 am

Two vids for Sanducky.
Might want to skip the first if you are sensitive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n6S-ckDiFo&feature=related

This is a survival guide for Jer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w0Ub1P62TU&feature=related
Freckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 am

Jerry Sandusky lawyers sought to quit on eve of trial

Published On Sat Jun 23 2012

BELLEFONTE, PA.—Jerry Sandusky’s lawyers said Saturday they asked to resign from his child sex abuse case on the eve of trial but the judge turned them down.

Karl Rominger and Joe Amendola said that as jury selection began they made a sealed motion saying they had not been given enough time to adequately prepare but Judge John Cleland ruled against them after discussion in his chambers.

“We told the trial court, the Superior Court and the Supreme Court we were not prepared to proceed to trial in June due to numerous issues, and we asked to withdraw from the case for those reasons,” Amendola said.

Read more:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/article/1216406--jerry-sandusky-lawyers-sought-to-quit-on-eve-of-trial?bn=1

Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of livin' is gone.~~~JM
Julie
Admin

Mood : Musical

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubs Fan on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:47 am

back2back19 wrote: **snipped quotes for space**

They should be afraid. From what I've gathered in various news reports, the Louis Freeh(Former FBI director) report will be very damaging to PSU, especially with the knowledge of the e-mails between Spanier and Curley/Schultz(can't remember which) where it was said to be "humane" TO Sandusky not to report what McQ saw in the showers, so clearly they knew something sexual and wrong happened but didn't really care.I hope the survivers refuse to take the payoff and they take them for every cent they can get. Everything needs to be brought out. Every little nasty detail because I don't think only Paterno, Schultz, Curley, Spanier and McQ knew... I think there were a whole lot more in the know and no one did anything. I also think it's possible most people suspected something and turned a blind eye because it was Sandusky and he was a legend. Plus, homophobia runs rampant in sports, so I can see that being a huge issue.

BBM

yes, this shows what their primary concern was, NOT the current victim of JS, NOT the future victims of JS, only their football program and it's reputation.
Cubs Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubs Fan on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:49 am

Freckles wrote:Does anyone know if this was Sanducky's first/only wife or if he had been married before?

Dottie, IMO, has her heads in a cloud and is humming a little song. Maybe something like, "Spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..." She sees no evil even when it is realty and in her own home, her own bed. She just keeps make believing.

I don't see her divorcing the "man of her dreams" but I do see her continuing in her denial of the truth. In her eyes, everyone is a liar and a conspirator against her hubby; they all must be jealous of Jer.

i had heard they met in college and i think she testified that they will have their 46th anniversary this year. So i'm pretty sure she is the only wife, unless he had a quickie marriage right out of high school.
Cubs Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by snowbird on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 am

back2back19 wrote:
snowbird wrote:

They have subpoena records records of interview and out of court settlement for Sandusky from the PSU, this tells me they suspect that other people came forward and was paid off. They also want records of payment made by the PSU trustee to the school or the a third party on behalf of school. So I think they should be real afraid, I would think they would have to know something to get these subpoenas.
snowbird

Back to top Go down

Post by snowbird on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:22 am

[quote="KZ"]
Freckles wrote:At the very least, Paterno should have done a PD follow-up, notified campus security of a potential abuse of locker rooms in after hours, and PULLED Sanducky's keys!

Removed quote for space.

I totally agree. I understand Joe Pa is a legend, but I'm sorry-- football is just a game. I really cringe when I hear the reverence for ANY sport (or athlete, or coach) used as a justification for minimizing or overlooking any crime. I think he should have done a LOT more. I think he knew a LOT more, too. What if Joe Pa had been a school principal, and Jerry Sandusky a celebrated middle school teacher? What if Joe Pa and Jerry were little league coaches? We would all be inflamed and horrified then, right? So why does ANY affiliation with a college sport mitigate what was going on? If anything, I think it makes the whole thing worse. The SPORT and the UNIVERSITY were more important than the bodies, minds, and spirits of the kids-- the kids from troubled backgrounds. And the excuses and justifications are still coming. We don't dare say a word criticizing a revered, dead coach, right? The dead are beyond criticism in a society that idolizes sports. I'm sure Joe Pa was a very nice guy, but imo, he didn't do what he should have done, with the information he had. He succeeded on the football field, but failed epically in the real world. He could have taken steps to stop the abuse-- and didn't. He didn't. He chose football over kids, imo.

The University "reaching out" to the victims in this very public way makes me sick. It's all about CYA for the U now-- mitigate the $$ damage. Let's look like we care, and we want to help, before we have to take out our checkbook for the victims. Better yet, maybe the U can offer them special tickets for life to Penn State games. Just sign on the dotted line.....
I agree with everything you said Joe might have been a great football coach but he didn't protect these young boys. When you are with a school, don't you by law have to report this to the police to investigate? I would not think telling the university would give his a pass for not calling the police.
snowbird

Back to top Go down

Post by nanshin on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:33 am

KZ wrote:

Freckles and KZ, I am so with you on this. When the news first came out last year, my thought these boys are not the only ones. Then Matt's wife (they had broken up) file to keep her son from visiting Sandusky's I knew right then and there Matt and/or other adopted sons were molested. When I heard, too the U "reaching out" !! huh, yea lets give you a fat check and please go away. I am a baseball fan but totally agree that sports dominate our society. Alchoholics, womanizers and substance abusers are revered in this country. Stats of baseball players are skewed because of steroid use. Some young men are pushed through high school and college because they are great atheletes and some barely should have went on to high school. Our power went out friday night until 9:15, when the verdict was close to being announced. My phone was near dead constantly looking for updates ! So, JS insisted the trial be held in his beloved home town, sure the people love me here. Well, be careful what you wish for No
nanshin

Back to top Go down

Post by nanshin on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:54 am

Julie wrote:Jerry Sandusky lawyers sought to quit on eve of trial

BELLEFONTE, PA.—Jerry Sandusky’s lawyers said Saturday they asked to resign from his child sex abuse case on the eve of trial but the judge turned them down.

Karl Rominger and Joe Amendola said that as jury selection began they made a sealed motion saying they had not been given enough time to adequately prepare but Judge John Cleland ruled against them after discussion in his chambers.

“We told the trial court, the Superior Court and the Supreme Court we were not prepared to proceed to trial in June due to numerous issues, and we asked to withdraw from the case for those reasons,” Amendola said.

Read more:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/article/1216406--jerry-sandusky-lawyers-sought-to-quit-on-eve-of-trial?bn=1

So this will probably be their appeal issue. All their legal mumbo jumbo doesn't negate the fact the boys were molested. and we don't know what else will come out. JS and his legal team may just want to shut up and go away. So he may not want to go through this again. He may be safer in prison if not in general population than on the streets in PA.
nanshin

Back to top Go down

Post by tesstruhart on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:14 pm

So, is this a concerted effort to prove ineffectual counsel? This man's client was just convicted for child rape...what is so damn funny?

Sara Ganim‏@sganim

‪#Sandusky‬ attny Amendola asks my friend and broadcast mentor @jasoncarrollcnn for 'someone cute' http://m.deadspin.com/5920728/lawyer …

from Middle Paxton, PA

tesstruhart

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:24 pm

nanshin wrote:
Julie wrote:Jerry Sandusky lawyers sought to quit on eve of trial

Read more:

So this will probably be their appeal issue. All their legal mumbo jumbo doesn't negate the fact the boys were molested. and we don't know what else will come out. JS and his legal team may just want to shut up and go away. So he may not want to go through this again. He may be safer in prison if not in general population than on the streets in PA.

I don't believe that Sandusky waived his right to a speedy trial. On December 13, Sandusky waived the preliminary hearing to avoid facing his accusers......."a decision that moves him toward a trial on charges of child sex abuse and takes away the possibility that he would publicly face his accusers today."

If his lawyers file a motion to withdraw from the case claiming that they didn't have enough time to prepare for the trial on the day that jury selection began, the motion was denied because it would have been highly prejudicial to their client. I believe the filling of the motion to withdraw was an attempt to delay the proceedings. If the Trail Court, the Superior Court and the Supreme Court denied their motion, I don't see how the Court of Appeals is going to rule that it is was a reversible error. I don't believe they have a chance at winning on appeal.

Reversible Error

Reversible error is a legal mistake at the trial court level which is so significant that without the error the outcome may have been different and the judgment must be reversed by the appellate court. A reversible error is distinguished from an error which is insignificant did not affect the judgment at the trial. Reversible error may be made by a judge or jury. Although attorney misconduct is not technically reversible error, the failure of the judge to remedy it during the trial is reversible error. Reversible error affects the reliability of the outcome of a court case.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/r/reversible-error/
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann - Tx on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:35 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/23/jerry-sandusky-what-next/
FOX News - 6/23/12

Jerry Sandusky: What's next?
Ann - Tx

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:56 pm

tesstruhart wrote:So, is this a concerted effort to prove ineffectual counsel? This man's client was just convicted for child rape...what is so damn funny?

Sara Ganim‏@sganim

‪#Sandusky‬ attny Amendola asks my friend and broadcast mentor @jasoncarrollcnn for 'someone cute' http://m.deadspin.com/5920728/lawyer …

from Middle Paxton, PA

According to Amendola, they did the best they could during the trial to defend Sandusky on the charges that were brought against him; "We tried to climb Mount Everest, we didn't make it", he conceded that the evidence against his client was insurmountable. The trial is over, his client was convicted by a jury of his peers.

The gag order was lifted when the trial ended, nothing can keep him from blabbering and making a fool of himself. He seems to be infatuated with the cameras.
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Sandusky's lawyers criticize speed of trial

By Mark Scolforo and Genaro C. Armas
Associated Press / June 24, 2012

BELLEFONTE, Pa. - Jerry Sandusky’s lawyers said Saturday they tried to quit at the start of jury selection in his child sex abuse trial because they weren’t given enough time to prepare, raising an argument on the trial’s speed that could become the thrust of an appeal.

And one of the jurors who convicted Sandusky of 45 child sex abuse counts said Saturday he was swayed by the “very convincing’’ testimony of eight accusers who said the retired Penn State assistant football coach molested them for years.

“It’s hard to judge character on the stand, because you don’t know these kids,’’ juror Joshua Harper told NBC’s “Today’’ show. “But most were very credible - I would say all.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2012/06/24/sanduskys_lawyers_criticize_speed_of_trial/
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:20 pm

Juror Says Panel Had Little Doubt on Sandusky’s Guilt

The prosecutor Joseph McGettigan III addressed the news media after Jerry Sandusky was convicted Friday in Bellefonte, Pa.

By JOE DRAPE and NATE TAYLOR
Published: June 23, 2012

BELLEFONTE, Pa. — Joshua Harper watched Jerry Sandusky listen to one guilty verdict after another — 45 in all — and was more certain than ever that Sandusky, the former Penn State football assistant, had sexually abused those young boys. Sandusky never flinched. No sign of regret creased his face.

“He knew it was true,” Harper, a high school chemistry teacher here, said as his 2-year-old son and his 4- and 5-year-old daughters played on the floor of their home Saturday morning. “It made me feel confident that we made the right decision.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/sports/ncaafootball/no-doubt-about-jerry-sanduskys-guilt-juror-says.html?_r=1
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:27 pm

Roy Exum: Why, Jerry Sandusky, Why?

Sunday, June 24, 2012 - by Roy Exum

Roy Exum

Years ago, when Jerry Sandusky would come to Chattanooga on summer vacation with his wife whose family lives here, I would play golf with him, tell stories, eat lunch and marvel at a goodness he created with his charity outreach for children, “The Second Mile.” Since I was a sports writer, we knew a lot of the same people and he was delicious fun as the defensive mastermind for Joe Paterno’s fabled Nittany Lions.

So I am still in shock as I learn a Pennsylvania jury has found him guilty on 45 of 48 counts of sexual abuse, most involving the kids from his nationally-acclaimed Second Mile charity, and I am somewhat horrified by the fact he, who turned out to be such a depraved monster, was once my friend.

Read more:
http://www.chattanoogan.com/2012/6/24/228960/Roy-Exum--Why-Jerry-Sandusky-Why.aspx
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Penn State's reputation, image soiled by Jerry Sandusky scandal

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 6:30 AM

By SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News

STATE COLLEGE--Now the attention turns to Penn State University.

Penn State, the place where a pedophile was caught three times showering with kids on campus, and three times got away with it.

Penn State, where some of the biggest public relations blunders led to national criticism that it’s a place full of idol worshipers and rioters.

Penn State, where inevitable scars are still gaping wounds.

With Jerry Sandusky found guilty on 45 counts of child sexual abuse, the focus of the scandal turns to who at Penn State knew what and when they knew it.

Read more:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/06/penn_states_reputation_image_s.html
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandra_Deux on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:47 pm

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/47934464/#47934464
Alessandra_Deux

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down